• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Monte Gordo - Lesser Spotted Woodpecker and Osprey (1 Viewer)

DaveRi6

Monte Gordo - Lesser Spotted Woodpecker and Osprey

22 October 2019: Good view of a female Lesser Spotted Woodpecker in Monte Gordo woods (west) - an unusual sighting here?

18 October 2019: Adult Osprey on what appeared to be a recently-erected wooden platform in Castro Marim saltpan area, seen from MG train station. Also seen 3 times in next 5 days - first, eating a fish on the mudflats north of Vila Real harbour, secondly catching a fish close to the Vila Real/Castro Marim road, and then seen again from MG station, perched on a mudbank in strong winds. No idea who erected the platform, but maybe it will lead to breeding here.

Dave Riley & Andrea Jackson

Simon Wates

Always nice to find the elusive LSW; though they are quite widespread in the Algarve but mainly inland associated with Cork Oak. As I know Monte Gordo, its mainly pine woods and I'm not sure if LSW is regular there or not, its certainly not recorded as a breeder in the atlas. Maybe a bird on the move? Osprey is wintering in the Algarve across most of the wetlands, no breeding as of yet but in late years there is new breeding at Odiel marshes in Spain not so far away - so hopefully one day here too. Worth mentioning that the last pair of Ospreys nesting in the Algarve did so on sea cliffs near Aljezur on the west coast up to the mid 1990s.

Gonçalo Elias

Portugal
I have seen LSW in the Monte Gordo pinewood on several occasions (at least 3 or 4 times), I would say it is a scarce resident. Nowadays this species is fairly regular closer to the coast and does not occur just on Cork Oak.

Osprey bred on the west coast near Aljezur in 2015. The birds around Castro Marim are mainly wintering individuals. Some platforms have indeed been built, but they have been used mostly as resting sites.

Andy Adcock

England
I have seen LSW in the Monte Gordo pinewood on several occasions (at least 3 or 4 times), I would say it is a scarce resident. Nowadays this species is fairly regular closer to the coast and does not occur just on Cork Oak.

Osprey bred on the west coast near Aljezur in 2015. The birds around Castro Marim are mainly wintering individuals. Some platforms have indeed been built, but they have been used mostly as resting sites.

Monte Gordo, a long time since I heard that name, I had a late week there in the 80's and the weather was atrocious for the whole time!

It was so bad, we hired a car and drove to Sevilla for some site seeing.

Simon Wates

Yes Gonçalo, here in the western Algarve LSW occurs away from Cork Oak and near the coast, often where there are Almond trees, even in semi urban areas near Lagos. I didn't expect them to be regular in pure pinewoods, like at Monte Gordo, interesting!

I never heard about the more recent breeding (2015) of Osprey you mention! Are these of wild origin or part of the re-introduction programme...or?

Simon Wates

Monte Gordo, a long time since I heard that name, I had a late week there in the 80's and the weather was atrocious for the whole time!

It was so bad, we hired a car and drove to Sevilla for some site seeing.

Well you were certainly unlucky, normally in these parts the weather is at least pleasant ;)

Users who are viewing this thread