• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Monterey Area Pelagics (1 Viewer)

Mark Jarrett

Hi

I am on holiday in California for a couple of weeks at the beginning of June and will be spending a few days in Carmel by the Sea. With pelagics not due to get underway for several weeks yet, do any locals think it would be a good idea to go out on a whale watching trip and try to see as many seabirds as possible? If so, are any of the companies better inclined towards birds than others? Any thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Mark

Farnboro John

Hi

I am on holiday in California for a couple of weeks at the beginning of June and will be spending a few days in Carmel by the Sea. With pelagics not due to get underway for several weeks yet, do any locals think it would be a good idea to go out on a whale watching trip and try to see as many seabirds as possible? If so, are any of the companies better inclined towards birds than others? Any thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Mark

Its years ago but I used a whale-watching trip out of Monterey to get some seabirds. IIRC I picked up Pigeon Guillemot in the harbour, Rhinoceros Auklet, Pacific Diver, Pink-footed Shearwater (? I think, haven't checked my list from then) among a horde of Sooties, and about 30 Black-footed Albatrosses. Whale-wise we had plenty of Humpbacks but nothing else, which was less exciting.

Overall I thought it was worthwhile: the albatrosses in particular were great.

John

Mark Jarrett

Thanks Steve. I know all about Shearwater Journeys but their schedule doesn’t start for several weeks yet.

Users who are viewing this thread