• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Monterey Gull (1 Viewer)

mdmoshier

I took this picture in Monterey, CA 2 weeks ago. They are juveniles and due to the narrow bills I am guessing Heerman's Gulls. I am not great at ID'ing gulls especially juveniles. Can anyone help me?

Thanks

Attachments

• 5A4A9906.jpg
    5A4A9906.jpg
    505 KB · Views: 52
Not Heermann's Gulls. They are more solid, sooty gray-black. The reason these birds appear slim in this photo is because the bill of the bird on top is viewed from above, and gull bills are thinnest in width so appear thin when viewed from above. Also, the lower bird has its bill open, and the lower mandible is hidden by the fish, so only half of the bill is visible. Given how dark these birds look, I'd say they look good for young Western Gull.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back