• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Montrose Basin and the surrounding area (1 Viewer)

Had an hour or so wander round Balgavies Loch, male Osprey sat on guard and female sat tight on the nest with a couple of Swifts buzzing round removing some insects from round her head. Hundred or more Greylag geese and little else on the loch, pair of Tufties, a pair of Mallards and 3 Coots. A few small songbirds heard but not seen, possible Garden Warbler and a Blackcap. Loads of male Common Blue Damsel flies on the wing and a couple of early purple orchids found too.

Some of the pictures

Attachments

• BM1K2517.jpg
    BM1K2517.jpg
    401.7 KB · Views: 10
  • BM1K2523.jpg
    BM1K2523.jpg
    453.8 KB · Views: 10
  • BM1K2505.jpg
    BM1K2505.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 10
Thanks Burnie. I've not been to Balgavies for a while.

I take it the Greylag is no longer using the Osprey nest for breeding? (Or was it just roosting on it.... can't remember?)

Just been out with the Bat detector, good numbers of Common and Soprano Pipistrelles out tonight, any one else got a fascination with wee flying meeces?

Spent the day on the South Esk close to the basin, a couple of pairs of territorial Common Sandpipers, another couple of pairs of Grey Wagtails, a Grey Heron(who was catching more fish than me), a Kingfisher constantly going up and down the river and good numbers of Swifts flying over head, barking Roe deer bucks completed the sound track for the day, they seem to be late rutting this year.

Went for a walk round Balgavies Loch in the rain, very little to be seen, Male Osprey sat by the nest and the Female had a couple of flights round the island, there are apparently 3 chicks, but they were keeping their heads down in the wet. Apart from around a hundred Greylag Geese and 4 Mute Swans, it was very quiet.

Attachments

• BM1K2625.jpg
    BM1K2625.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 2
Currently isolating due to close contact with my Grandson who has tested positive for covid(he's on the mend now, but his mum has it now), so birdwatching in the garden, we had 3 Swifts over us yesterday, love watching them, no Swallows since the old barns have been demolished for house building and few House Martins in the village now either.

Now completed our 10 days of isolation and had a negative covid test, so went for a nice walk above Lunan Bay, a small group of Dolphins visible and a largish group of Velvet Scoters, surprised to see them in the summer. Also a group of 4 Ravens, plenty of farmland birds, Skylarks everywhere, family of Yellowhammers on a wire, Swallows and House Martins feeding over the barley fields and a family of Wrens feeding amongst the undergrowth. Meadow Pipit with a beak full of food and a good number of Meadow Brown butterflies.

Selection of rather dim images, no sunlight sadly

Attachments

• BM1K2694.jpg
    BM1K2694.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 9
  • BM1K2699.jpg
    BM1K2699.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 8
  • BM1K2708.jpg
    BM1K2708.jpg
    202.3 KB · Views: 9
Had a wander round Forfar Loch yesterday, a rather late nesting Great Crested Grebe sat tight at the car park end, they are learning to nest further out and building a bigger nest it would seem. Lots of Magpies, a Dabchick and little else out of the ordinary, lack of sun seemed to keep everything in hiding.

Attachments

• BM1K2718.jpg
    BM1K2718.jpg
    187.7 KB · Views: 3
Went up to Scurdie Ness lighthouse, a flat sea with little moving, a few Arctic Terns a flock of a dozen or so Linnets and some Divers on the sea, I think Great Northerns but they were a long way out and seemed to have younger birds with them??

Attachments

• BM1K2759.jpg
    BM1K2759.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 19
Bright sunny morning and we have Sand Martins, House Martins, Swallows and 4 Swifts hawking insects over our garden, there was also a Buzzard higher up calling as it soared by. Sadly we also had a juvenile Garden Warbler fly into the conservatory window and it didn't survive, we have hung all sorts of things in the windows to alert the birds, but sadly the young ones don't always know the danger.

Went up to Scurdie Ness lighthouse, a flat sea with little moving, a few Arctic Terns a flock of a dozen or so Linnets and some Divers on the sea, I think Great Northerns but they were a long way out and seemed to have younger birds with them??
These are guillemots

Rob

Seven Swifts in a group flying low and screaming over the village, superb sight and sound, not seen any in the village for years, not sure where they nested, their old site wasn't used.

One adult and 2 juvenile Peregrine falcons flying over our garden, kids screaming for food drew my attention to them.

Had a visit to my local forest, not much about, a few Redpolls calling in the tree tops, heard a Goshawk bit didn't see it, a lot of butterflies about too.

Attachments

• BM1K2889.jpg
    BM1K2889.jpg
    235.8 KB · Views: 4
  • BM1K2883.jpg
    BM1K2883.jpg
    323.4 KB · Views: 3

Users who are viewing this thread

Back