• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Moray birding (2 Viewers)

Hi everyone,must tell you about the birds that visited my garden today,there was goldfinches,blue tits,great tits and coal tits which visit every day as well as sparrows,chaffinches,blackbirds and robins but this afternoon there were about 9 or 10 long tail tits.they have been before but this time fed for a while on the feeder of home-made fat and seed,great experience just a pity it i never managed any photos ��anyone seen any?

Hi Sandra _ yes indeed have seen plenty out this way, as Balloch and Culloden woods just down the road and they have been flocking well for the last week or.so in high numbers.

Hi Sandra,
I was watching long tailed tits in Culbin a couple of days ago, along with crested tits. Also seen LTT's in Sanquhar Woods in Forres as well.

Hi everyone,must tell you about the birds that visited my garden today,there was goldfinches,blue tits,great tits and coal tits which visit every day as well as sparrows,chaffinches,blackbirds and robins but this afternoon there were about 9 or 10 long tail tits.they have been before but this time fed for a while on the feeder of home-made fat and seed,great experience just a pity it i never managed any photos ��anyone seen any?

Hi Sandra,

Great sighting. I love the way they all feed together on the feeders - there's no alpha male chasing all the others off as with Greenfinches.

Like all the best sightings though, they always occur when you don't have a camera handy;)

Gordon

12 Waxwing still present at roundabout leading to Forres Enterprise park. Also there 30/40 fieldfare and two Brambling.

Dave

12 Waxwing still present at roundabout leading to Forres Enterprise park. Also there 30/40 fieldfare and two Brambling.

Dave

Been for a wander down to the Enterprise Park - no Waxwings for me, however, I carried on my walk and about 1/2 a mile from there I came across a load of Crossbills.
Plenty of Goldfinches in the garden at the moment.

While out walking the dogs this morning came across 20 - 25 Long Tailed Tits, some just feet from me, not enough light for a photo though. There were 4 Bullfinches in the same place the other day. Then, on the way back, counted 18 Whooper Swans heading towards Findhorn.

Nice Curlew Sandpiper on the Findhorn estuary amongst the Bar and Black tailed Godwits today. Had a great day, plenty of Pintail and Longtailed ducks as well as a very nice pair of Black Throated divers close to the shore of Culbin sands.

Hi Ratal,

according the rspb website and Collins Curlew sandpiper are mostly seen in august and september: http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdguide/name/c/curlewsandpiper/index.aspx This sandpiper should be already in Africa.

Are you show it was one? and if so, good record!! B :)

Last month I had Dunlins with quite long bills, here some pictures of that: http://observado.org/waarneming/view/71817404?_popup=1

Nice Curlew Sandpiper on the Findhorn estuary amongst the Bar and Black tailed Godwits today. Had a great day, plenty of Pintail and Longtailed ducks as well as a very nice pair of Black Throated divers close to the shore of Culbin sands.

Last edited:
Hi Caledonian. Absolutely 100 percent. It's mask was present with black crown, long wings and legs. It was striking because of its uniqueness amongst the Dunlin which are present in large numbers. Tide was in, water was close so got a real good peep at it.

Good found Ratal!

Hi Caledonian. Absolutely 100 percent. It's mask was present with black crown, long wings and legs. It was striking because of its uniqueness amongst the Dunlin which are present in large numbers. Tide was in, water was close so got a real good peep at it.

Did you get a peek at its rump ratal?

As a matter of interest Ratal, what field guide are you using?

Last edited:
Did you get a peek at its rump ratal?

As a matter of interest Ratal, what field guide are you using?

White rump and grey tail. Oh and Bird book is 'Pocket Birds of Britain and Europe, third edition 2012.

ISBN 978-1-4053-9456-7

Bit soggy like, but its decent enough for me as its pocket size.

Happy New Year (yeah bit late sorry!)

Fantastic day weather wise on the Moray Coast today, no glare and sea calm.

Best birds were one male and two female long tailed ducks in Burghead harbour, giving stunning views, so anyone fancy some good pics of long tailed head down to Burghead!

On the whole though the area very very quiet.

Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back