• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Moray birding (1 Viewer)

Ladies and Gents, was up on the Burghead today, and a flock of well over 100 Velvet Scoters were off on the distance.

Its the most I've ever seen and just wanted to let folks know.

As for the rest, Red and Great Northern Divers, Eiders up close.. all in all worth the trek.

Hide at Findhorn not open as yet, have had a few comments about the location of the hide and I was thinking of getting in touch with the comittee to see what the possibilities would be of getting it shifted.

Any ideas or thoughts on best location to get things started?

Dave

I always thought it would be ideal on the small mound about 100yds forwrd of where it is now, with a boardwalk to it. Or perhaps further to the right as the small creek there can be good. Be brilliant if it could be a raised hide on stilts perhaps! Doubt if they'd get planning though, it would have to be a five bed-roomed luxury detached house to ensure that. Lot of scope for hides at Findhorn bay, did you ever have any luck Dave.....

Last edited:
All the usual at Burghead today including no less than four seals in the harbour, Long Tailed duck in the outer area and the biggest surprise was a Kittiwake! Plenty of Eider, Scoter and Long Tailed Duck and a flight of Brent Geese off Nairn early on (but couldn't pick out the King Eider). Finally American Coot showed very well - right to the edge of the loch when I stayed in the car.

Last edited:
A shot of the surprise Kittiwake - (horrible photo with the sun right behind the bird though)

Attachments

• Kittiwake.jpg
    Kittiwake.jpg
    202.5 KB · Views: 76
A shot of the surprise Kittiwake - (horrible photo with the sun right behind the bird though)

If that's what you call horrible i'm going to stop adding my direly awful shots :/

Lovely bird to get a close up of. :t:

Was at Lossiemouth yesterday and the incoming weight of waves was ferocious. Lots closed off to the public and the dunes over the river were unreachable bar the first spit by the foot bridge.

Morning folks, about time to get this thread up and running again.

Hobby reported at Findhorn Bay, Mosset Burn Area. As per birdguides :)

Little Gull and Spoonbill at Spey Bay as per bird guides
Little Gull, Lossiemouth estuary as per bird guides :)

Last edited:
Sooty Shearwater at Lossiemouth and Rose Coloured Starling at Hopeman, both reports as per birdguides :)
Iceland Gull at Lossiemoth and Spoonbill at Findhorn Bay once again as per birdguides :)

Last edited:
Ospreys, Lossiemouth

Spent a rather interesting hour at Lossiemouth estuary on Sunday, 1130 -1230. An Opsrey fishing right in front of the caravan park, took a flatfish and then another 3 Osprey turned up, all fishing between the footbridge to about 300 metres up river. 2 more fish taken, trout or something, and the 4th Opsrey still there when I left, though further upstream. 5 Grey Heron also fishing and annoying each other, pair of redshank and the usual gulls, Oystercatchers etc. A few House Martins, swallows and some nice Linnet. Felt sorry for the mini-bus of about 8 birders who arrived just as I was leaving and missed the action, hope they got the Rose Starling at Hopeman they were heading for

Jim.

Attachments

• DSC_0202.JPG
    DSC_0202.JPG
    482.7 KB · Views: 52
  • DSC_0207.JPG
    DSC_0207.JPG
    232 KB · Views: 44
  • DSC_0278.JPG
    DSC_0278.JPG
    278.5 KB · Views: 45
  • DSC_0280.JPG
    DSC_0280.JPG
    300.2 KB · Views: 41
  • DSC_0310.jpg
    DSC_0310.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 42
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back