• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

More Bino Advice Please! (1 Viewer)

Ivydwg

United Kingdom
Evening All

Despite using optics for wildlife observation as an amateur and professional for many years, I have little regular experience with 'Premium' glass. Unfortunately, the wages of an Ecologist in the UK don't stretch that far...

I currently own the Nikon ED II 8x30 and Hawke Frontier ED X 10x42. I used to have a pair of Zeiss 7x42 Dialyt T* P*, but I lost them.

I would like a pair of 8x42 or 7x42 for the wider FOV and low light observation, particularly for my breeding bird surveys, as well as general observation and enjoyment.

I have been monitoring EBAY for a while and the older models of early 2000's EL's, Ultravid's and FL's are selling for around the £600-£800 mark in good condition, although EL's tend to go for more. Then of course the older models of Trinvoids and Conquest's, as well as some SLC's, go for cheaper.

Of course if I did spend around the £800 mark, new options are instruments such as Monach HG's and if I could bring myself to spent a bit more, Conquest HD, which appear to be very highly regarded on Allbinos etc.

Obviously buying new means I can see for myself, but I could possibly get a great deal off Ebay for an older but still great pair of premium glass, much like I did with my almost mint Nikon ED82 scope (£650 with stay-on case and x30 lens).

It is just knowing if these 15-20 year old models would give me a substantial improvement on what I already have or what I could buy new for a similar price, principally in respect of image quality.

And of course the issue of trusting that I don't get a second hand lemon...

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Steven

Users who are viewing this thread