• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

More bino. reviews from Asia (1 Viewer)

james holdsworth

Consulting Biologist
You will need a translator, and even then a good imagination. Scroll down to read some recent reviews. I gotta say, I like the way this guy does his reviews and he doesn't pull punches.

The Swaro 8x30 review [or ''sea lettuce''] will get some panties in a bunch, as it has been at the centre of a love-in here for months.;)

Even when he is dissing on Zeiss, I still agree with him, as I see the same flaws in the design selection series [too much CA] as he does - and I own one of those....

http://forrest143.blog.163.com/

This Chinese guy lives/works here in Japan for an optics OEM and writes a blog in Japanese too. He just auctioned the 10x42 HT he reviewed for JPY160,000.

Despite the ambiguity of the translation I think he got it spot on with the 'sea cabbage' report. The pair I tried had high levels of glare, was not as sharp as the EL I tried, and, although I didn't specifically look for it, there were spurious reflections that were probably ghosting. Of course, the build and performance are certainly better than similarly priced roofs. Full marks from me. Must check out his other reports.

David

Reading the translated version was a bit trippy. I simply had to find out about the "sea cabbage" bit. So I asked Mrs. S. (of Middle Kingdom persuasion) to read the original. He´s using characters the sounds of which approximate "Swa(rovski) Habich(t)". The characters sound like "Si wa, Hai Bai Cai", and mean, "Silk socks, Sea Cabbage". For this alone I think it is simply the best review ever written.;)
I bet Dennis is glad he´s dumped his Sea Cabbage, now that a critical review has appeared!

Oh no. Now it looks like I may have to sell my "sea cabbage" ( Swaro 8x30 Habicht). I will not be able to enjoy how clear and bright and sharp they are, because of reading a review from some fella in Asia that did not like them. 8-P

I can assure you though, that the this "Paul" (porro) prism binocular is sharper than the 8x30 Nikon EII that I tested it against, and from what I have seen of the couple Nikon SE 8x32's that I have owned, to me, it is sharper on access than those. And despite what this fella says- the sea cabbage gives the 8x32 SV (not the EL that he mentioned) a huge run for its money in center (60-75%) field sharpness, and contrast.

But what do I know- I am also just one dude from a different part of the globe, with a different set of eyeballs.

So for about $900 and considering both optics, build quality, and company making them-I think they are quite nice. I hopefully will continue to enjoy my Habichts. That is if I can keep the "sea cabbage" out of my head. ;)

BTW- I figure that fickle Dennis will get on here soon and tell us all that he agrees with the review and that he too had problems with his "sea cabbage" and had to sell them. The same Dennis that told me that I was just a "Swaro fan boy" when I said in in review how great I thought the Swaro 8x32 SV was. And now that he has a pair they are now "the best of all time" - or at least the present time for him.:egghead:

You will need a translator, and even then a good imagination. Scroll down to read some recent reviews. I gotta say, I like the way this guy does his reviews and he doesn't pull punches.

The Swaro 8x30 review [or ''sea lettuce''] will get some panties in a bunch, as it has been at the centre of a love-in here for months.;)

Even when he is dissing on Zeiss, I still agree with him, as I see the same flaws in the design selection series [too much CA] as he does - and I own one of those....

http://forrest143.blog.163.com/

James:

Could you post this review in English ? I have not mastered the translate
program.

Thanks,

Jerry

James:

Could you post this review in English ? I have not mastered the translate
program.

Thanks,

Jerry

Jerry,

If you are running Explorer, right click on the page and select ''translate''. If using Google Chrome, the browser will ask you if you want to translate at the top of the page.

This Chinese guy lives/works here in Japan for an optics OEM and writes a blog in Japanese too. He just auctioned the 10x42 HT he reviewed for JPY160,000.

RJM,

Can you tell me what he means by ''good range of images'' - one of his categories? I suspect it is corrected field but it is a bit strange that he gives the HT and the SV the same score - 45%.

He dislikes rolling ball so maybe he is seeing it in the outer 55% of the field?

Jerry,

If you are running Explorer, right click on the page and select ''translate''. If using Google Chrome, the browser will ask you if you want to translate at the top of the page.

James:

Thanks for the help, I was able to see part of the review, but the pictures and
most did not come through. I can tell I am not missing much.

Jerry

James:

Thanks for the help, I was able to see part of the review, but the pictures and
most did not come through. I can tell I am not missing much.

Jerry

Actually, I think you are missing a lot. He has over 50 bin reviews, all very thorough from a guy with a background in optics, so he knows his stuff. All the alpha's are reviewed, many are skewered. Lots of great pics of all the test subjects, some great comparisons - I just wish the translated versions were closer to reality, as there is still much to be guessed at.

I like his style, as it is somewhat technical but with an obvious zest and love of optics. Something that is sorely lacking from sites like Allbinos is just how well the binocular actually works in the field, and just exactly how the view appears. All that tech. data really does not tell us just what the view looks like, it just provides a basis to assume. Heck, Allbinos doesn't even measure resolution, so for all the measurements, we still don't know if the binocular is really sharp, a pretty important criteria I think.

Actually, I think you are missing a lot. He has over 50 bin reviews, all very thorough from a guy with a background in optics, so he knows his stuff. All the alpha's are reviewed, many are skewered. Lots of great pics of all the test subjects, some great comparisons - I just wish the translated versions were closer to reality, as there is still much to be guessed at.

I like his style, as it is somewhat technical but with an obvious zest and love of optics. Something that is sorely lacking from sites like Allbinos is just how well the binocular actually works in the field, and just exactly how the view appears. All that tech. data really does not tell us just what the view looks like, it just provides a basis to assume. Heck, Allbinos doesn't even measure resolution, so for all the measurements, we still don't know if the binocular is really sharp, a pretty important criteria I think.

James:

I use Explorer, and the Bing translation was not complete, so I was unable
to view much beyond the first thing mentioned on each review. The pics did
not convert, so too much work for me. I will take your word for it.

Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back