• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

More from Arizona (1 Viewer)

AdAstra09

Had a very full birding/ photography day. Got up early to go photograph sunrise at the Gilbert Riparian Park and then went to the Boyce Thompson Arboretum. My wildlife photography skills are still in the 'dismal' category, but my Id skills are growing stronger every time, I think. First, here are the birds I am positive id wise.
1) black necked stilt
2)canada goose
3)mourning dove
4)verdin

Attachments

• black necked stilt.jpg
    black necked stilt.jpg
    360.3 KB · Views: 35
  • canada goose.jpg
    canada goose.jpg
    366.9 KB · Views: 31
  • mourning dove.jpg
    mourning dove.jpg
    247.6 KB · Views: 31
  • verdin.jpg
    verdin.jpg
    375.6 KB · Views: 56
Red winged blackbird
yellow rumped warbler
white crowned sparrow

Attachments

• red winged blackbird.jpg
    red winged blackbird.jpg
    341.4 KB · Views: 46
  • yellow rumped warbler.jpg
    yellow rumped warbler.jpg
    336.4 KB · Views: 56
  • white crowned sparrow II.jpg
    white crowned sparrow II.jpg
    333 KB · Views: 29
And now the mystery birds
pics I and II are a mystery bird. looking at the extremely blurry flight shot, I thought it reminded me of swallow, but I couldn't find any that matched the proflie

III is a bird I kept looking at but not paying attention to because I mentally cast it as a common loon, right until a common loon swum by and I realized it wasn;t even close. oops. Now, I'm thinking, male ringed neck duck? only there was a brown duck that looked exactly the same beside it that looked nothing like the female version of the ringed duck in my guide.

IV was swimming with the mallards but does not look like a female mallard to me. It's similar but too light and different from the other mallards nearby.

Last, but not least, definately not a bird, but while birding @ the arboretum, I heard a racket in the trees and looked up and what do I see but a coati mundi chowing down on pecans. Totally awesome sighting even though not bird related

Attachments

• mystery swallow.jpg
    mystery swallow.jpg
    385.6 KB · Views: 73
  • mystery swallow-.jpg
    mystery swallow-.jpg
    334.1 KB · Views: 58
  • ring necked duck-.jpg
    ring necked duck-.jpg
    371.2 KB · Views: 31
  • mystery duck II.jpg
    mystery duck II.jpg
    311.2 KB · Views: 39
  • coati mundi.jpg
    coati mundi.jpg
    325.6 KB · Views: 46
And now the mystery birds
pics I and II are a mystery bird. looking at the extremely blurry flight shot, I thought it reminded me of swallow, but I couldn't find any that matched the proflie

III is a bird I kept looking at but not paying attention to because I mentally cast it as a common loon, right until a common loon swum by and I realized it wasn;t even close. oops. Now, I'm thinking, male ringed neck duck? only there was a brown duck that looked exactly the same beside it that looked nothing like the female version of the ringed duck in my guide.

IV was swimming with the mallards but does not look like a female mallard to me. It's similar but too light and different from the other mallards nearby.

1.-2. Say's Phoebe
3. Ring-necked Duck
4. Domestic Mallard

agree with all, but i also noticed that the mystery bird is leucistic. also, immature vermilion flycatcher is more likely.

I would go with Say's Phoebe -- it looks a lot like one that I have seen photographed in Arizona this year. The tail doesn't seem to have any white on the outer tail feathers which is a strike against Vermilion. The bill also seems too long (and more in tune with Say's).

Carlos

Thanks for all the responses! I noticed the scaling on the blackbird but didn't know what it meant. I will have to notate it in my field journal. That also gave me an idea about the brown ring neck ducks and I googled juvenile instead of female. Score. I never would have gotten that say's phoebe. Winter makes it harder (for me) to identify some birds, because they fluff up their feathers and curl into themselves and obscure their body shapes. Also, for some reason I often picture the birds in my field guide as being larger than they are which throws off my perception in the wild. Thanks again for the help. For a beginning birder and amateur naturalist, this site offers a wealth of information.

Cool! You saw the White-nosed Coatimundi at Boyce Thompson!

Yes. This was the sighting of the day for me. I mean, I expected to see birds but the coati mundi was completely out of the blue. I've heard that bobcats have also been spotted there. That would have been awesome too.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back