• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

more on the Night Parrot... (1 Viewer)

Larry Sweetland

Formerly 'Larry Wheatland'
Thought I'd put a heads up here for Australian BFers, in case anyone's missed that some very interesting new stuff has come up on the Night Parrot thread over the last couple of days.

From post #560 onwards here:-http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=260800&page=23

hopefully this is already being discussed in Aus

Hi Larry,

I'm not sure there's the same level of skepticism in Aus as on that thread!
It is very common for publishers to "pretty up" an image, in this case a sticky-out feather or two seems to have upset the outline of the important bird photo (as far as the image editor is concerned).
The desire to uncover a hoax must be powerful for some, but if it's going to happen it'll be on BF, where people are trying hardest. :)
Fortunately the Australian perspective seems to be more conservation oriented.
Cheers

But all of the apparent cloning as indicted in the main thread this week took place prior to being sent to the publishers surely. The original newspaper editor wouldn't worry about such minor issues. So if you are correct with your idea then it must have been the photographer. Now that you have the two photos firmly in place in an authoritive publication it tends to sway everyone's belief. Are there any other photos other than the orginal two in Australian public domain yet, or being circulated off public? Does this species have to get through Australian rarities committee as per vagrants, if yes then surely it's dead in the water now by the tampered photographic evidence on offer, if not then it seems that it wil go down in history alongside some of the other famous fraud records.
A real shame indeed.....especially if we are all wrong and there really was a good live bird photographed.

But all of the apparent cloning as indicted in the main thread this week took place prior to being sent to the publishers surely. The original newspaper editor wouldn't worry about such minor issues. So if you are correct with your idea then it must have been the photographer. Now that you have the two photos firmly in place in an authoritive publication it tends to sway everyone's belief. Are there any other photos other than the orginal two in Australian public domain yet, or being circulated off public? Does this species have to get through Australian rarities committee as per vagrants, if yes then surely it's dead in the water now by the tampered photographic evidence on offer, if not then it seems that it wil go down in history alongside some of the other famous fraud records.
A real shame indeed.....especially if we are all wrong and there really was a good live bird photographed.

Hi,
I don't know the answer to any of your questions, sorry about that:t:
I assumed, from my own background (20 years ago) in pre press publishing that major publishers will optimize most images.
Some of your questions may be answered here though http://birding-aus.org/?p=36598

I have other conservation issues and responsibilities to be concerned about, and a lot of invasive weed to manage... gets me out birding though.;)

Cheers

You're very welcome, Thanks for your own good work on these forums, it's great to have some rational discussion. Very civilized. :)

I've worked in windowless offices and factories in your part of the world, so I get that, keep in touch if you're ever in Australia!

Interestingly my current "office" doesn't have windows, or walls for that matter. Unfortunately it's really windy today, and not very comfortable, which wasn't part of the plan...

Cheers

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back