• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Most frequently seen bird in 2021 (1 Viewer)

JTweedie

What's your top 3 most frequently seen birds in 2021, not in terms of number of individual birds, but seen on the most number of days.

Because of lockdown and not getting out birding as much as I used to I've found some birds, like feral pigeon, are way down my list this year whereas normally it might be top.

Here's my top 3 - it's not going to change with the remaining hours that's left.

1. Jackdaw (seen on 350 days)
2. Magpie (348)
3. Wood Pigeon (329)

I joined birdtrack in mid-Oct and my counts are

Robin 61
Carrion Crow 59
Magpie 56

That excludes the flat window which I don't submit for privacy reasons so probably Carrion Crow is the true answer as they rule the local rooftops.

From BirdTrack, so these are listed by the number of lists that birds featured in, not the number of days:
1. Woodpigeon
2. Magpie
3. Lesser Black-backed Gull

Pre-pandemic it was consistently Woodpigeon, Mallard, Black-headed Gull in that order, so there's an element of more visits to my local park and fewer to wetland nature reserves in this year's list.

European Starling (365)
House Sparrow (365)
Rock Pigeon (365)
;)
OK, probably not all 365 days, but only because we went on vacation.

My top three, based on number of eBird checklists, not number of days.

European Starling (586)
Mourning Dove (568)
American Robin (516)

Dave

I'm curious, were you able to get this info w/o downloading your data and manipulating in excel?
You can bring up your eBird Year List (or Life List, location lists, etc.) and click on “View All” located to the right of the species name. It will then bring up all checklists submitted with that species, as well as the number of checklists with that species.

I had to look at the number of checklists that contain the most common species I see on a regular basis to come up with my top three.

Dave

Last edited:
You can bring up your eBird Year List (or Life List, location lists, etc.) and click on “View All” located to the right of the species name. It will then bring up all checklists submitted with that species, as well as the number of checklists with that species.

I had to look at the number of checklists that contain the most common species I see on a regular basis to come up with my top three.

Dave

I honestly don't know what would be my top three and there are a lot of candidates - I think it will be / would be much faster for me to download a csv and use excel, or just guess :)

If I had to guess (seen on the most days) it would probably be Great Tit, Blue Tit, Common Wood-Pigeon, and/or Blackbird?

If I had to guess (individuals seen) it might be Black-headed Gull, Black Vulture, and Turkey Vulture?

I didn't count mine (Oh dear my head hurts just THINKING of counting mine) but it's probably:
3. Black-Capped Chickadee
2. Tufted Titmouse
1. White-Breasted Nuthatch

In that least, I'm gonna bet on the nuthatch, but I'm not certain. I saw at least 300 Chickadees, 500 Titmice, and probably over 600 Nuthatches.

It's a rainy morning with tea and my partner is still asleep (jealous of her ability to sleep in after late nights, I'll be wrecked this evening), so I just downloaded my ebird csv and did a quick pivot table.

eBirded on the most days: Great Tit, Blackbird, Carrion Crow
Most individuals eBirded: Eurasian Coot, Black-headed Gull, Barn Swallow

But some interesting bits are revealed, like
Most frequently observed "good" birds (good being subjective and my own choice): Screaming Piha, Black-fronted Nunbird, Blue-and-yellow Macaw
Most individuals observed for "good" birds (again subjective): Cory's Shearwater, Brown Booby, White Tern
249 species where I only ebirded 1 individual all year (though looking through this list reveals that I'm a lazy eBirder as there are many common birds that I certainly heard/saw many times but only ever put on one list)

Last edited:
Feral goddamn pigeon (also last bird of 2021 and first bird of 2022). Seen on every birding trip (make that every trip outside my flat), including on holiday in the Canary Islands. The only days I didn't see them were when I didn't leave my flat! Then again, I guess I shouldn't be rude about them - their abundance in London is partly why there are at least seven pairs of peregrines 30 minutes' travel from my flat, and they're fantastic flyers in their own right, especially when a peregrine is hot on their tail.

followed by:

Carrion crow, herring gull, black-headed gull - also seen on every birding trip. It's virtually impossible to avoid seeing these species in London. Lesser black-backed gull is also very frequently seen where the Thames flows through the City of London but definitely behind the other three species.

Woodpigeon - probably fly through my field of view on 90-95% sessions (I made observations on about 180 days in 2021).

Magpie - also very commonplace in central London.

Rose-ringed parakeet - seen on every trip in most areas I regularly watch (large numbers fly northwest over Hyde Park every evening), but not as common in the City of London and almost never seen when viewing there.

Most commonly seen passerines: pied wagtail, starling, goldfinch.

Most commonly seen waterfowl: has to be Canada goose, followed by mallard, greylag, mute swan.

Boring a.f. I know, but hey, that's Zone 1 London for you...

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back