• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Most 'Plastic' Patch award (1 Viewer)

Bismarck Honeyeater

Barely known member
At Walthamstow we have recorded 19 out of the 23 species on Cat C of the British List. I'm not sure we should be proud but I wonder if any other British patch can boast more?

1. Mute Swan Cygnus olor AC2
2. Greylag Goose Anser anser AC2C4E*
3. Snow Goose Anser caerulescens AC2E
4. Greater Canada Goose Canada Goose Branta canadensis AC2E*
5. Barnacle Goose Branta leucopsis AC2E*
6. Egyptian Goose Alopochen aegyptiaca C1E*
7. Mandarin Duck Aix galericulata C1E*
8. Gadwall Anas strepera AC2
9. Mallard Anas platyrhynchos AC2C4E*
10. Red-crested Pochard Netta rufina AC2E*
11. Ruddy Duck Oxyura jamaicensis C1E*
12. Red-legged Partridge Alectoris rufa C1E*
13. Capercaillie Western Capercaillie Tetrao urogallus C3
14. Grey Partridge Perdix perdix AC2E*
15. Pheasant Common Pheasant Phasianus colchicus C1E*
16. Lady Amherst’s Pheasant Chrysolophus amherstiae C6E*
17. Golden Pheasant Chrysolophus pictus C1E*

18. Red Kite Milvus milvus AC3E*
19. White-tailed Eagle Haliaeetus albicilla AC3E
20. Northern Goshawk Accipiter gentilis AC3E*
21. Rock Dove / Feral Pigeon Columba livia AC4E*
22. Little Owl Athene noctua C1
23. Ring-necked Parakeet Rose-ringed Parakeet Psittacula krameri C1E*

I've had all yours at Abbotsbury plus the two other pheasants but they and some of the others were clearly direct escapes rather than from a naturalised population.

Steve.

Just to be clear - how are you proving some of these are genuine Cat C birds, and not just Cat A's? What level of proof do you need for eg Cat C Gadwall or Mallard?

Just to be clear - how are you proving some of these are genuine Cat C birds, and not just Cat A's? What level of proof do you need for eg Cat C Gadwall or Mallard?

Indeed. I think people are over-egging this for the glamorous most plastic patch award.

I heard someone say once that Chew used to get so many escaped wildfowl they once had a Flightless Steamer Duck but I don't know if that was an urban myth.

I've had 15 out of those 23 "plastics" within the last 20+years, and from a much smaller recording area, to include 3 "heard onlys" with the rest as flyovers, but then living equi-distant (circa 1 mile) between two lakes...kinda helps, plus unsure of the category (if any), an Alexandrine Parakeet.

Cheers

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back