• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Moth ID from Fair Isle, Shetland (1 Viewer)

Fair Islander

Hi Guys, can anyone help with the ID of this moth, trapped at MV light on Fair Isle, Shetland, several nights ago. The size is 15mm across wing tips and 20mm from head to wing tip. many thanks, Paul

Attachments

• DSC_8898_resized.jpg
    DSC_8898_resized.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 202
Fair Islander said:
Hi Guys, can anyone help with the ID of this moth, trapped at MV light on Fair Isle, Shetland, several nights ago. The size is 15mm across wing tips and 20mm from head to wing tip. many thanks, Paul

No takers???

Hi Paul,

Looks good for Nutmeg, a species which only usually occurs in good migrant years up here in Shetland, so hopefully this will be pre-cursor to something good.

I take it Nick R is away as he'll have seen the species before.

Mike Pennington said:
Hi Paul,

Looks good for Nutmeg, a species which only usually occurs in good migrant years up here in Shetland, so hopefully this will be pre-cursor to something good.

I take it Nick R is away as he'll have seen the species before.

Hi Mike, Nick R is here but it stumped him too. When I suggested Nutmeg (after posting it here) then he agreed that it was. Nick also caught a Lynchis last night so probably two firsts for the island in two days.

Cheers, Paul

Fair Islander said:
Hi Mike, Nick R is here but it stumped him too. When I suggested Nutmeg (after posting it here) then he agreed that it was. Nick also caught a Lynchis last night so probably two firsts for the island in two days.

Cheers, Paul

I'll second or third or whatever the Nutmeg. Had a feeling it might be but couldn't make out enough detail first time around. So if that helps... ;)

Mike

Fair Islander said:

Cheers, Paul

Didn't realise that Nutmeg was a first for FI, given that we had 20-30 in a night in the big year of 1996 (when the moths darkened the night sky ...).

Knew Lychnis wasn't on the FI list but that's even more surprsing in some ways. You can't burst open more than 2-3 Red Campion pods on Mainland Shetland without finding a larva.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back