• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Moths of April 2010 (1 Viewer)

Although poor in numbers last night (23 moths), I did get a new for the year Purple Thorn, a brand new species in the form of Powdered Quaker, and a Pug which I was thinking is Brindled, but looking at Benny's Common, I am not sure now! I'll try and get some photos later.

Good mothing.

Hi all. I was wonding if any moth-ers in Surrey would like to contribute to a blog on the moths of Surrey (which I am going to make soon on Blogspot). You would just need to write a post now and then on your recent trapping catches etc. The aim would for it to be a bit like the Kent Moths blog (kentmoths.blogspot.com). Drop me a PM me if your interested.

Last edited:
Although poor in numbers last night (23 moths), I did get a new for the year Purple Thorn, a brand new species in the form of Powdered Quaker, and a Pug which I was thinking is Brindled, but looking at Benny's Common, I am not sure now! I'll try and get some photos later.

Good mothing.

Here they are. I am even more sure about the Pug being a Common now.

Also, I have added a shot of a Green Tiger Beetle I got at Frensham Common recently.

Attachments

• pug.jpg
    pug.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 93
  • pq.jpg
    pq.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 63
  • purple.jpg
    purple.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 66
  • gtb.jpg
    gtb.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 64
Last night, a little cold, and only 12 moths:

Early Thorn - 1 (NFY)
Hebrew Character - 6
Common quaker - 2
Brindled Pug - 3 (NFY)

Andy.

Not much mothing the last days due to very windy and cold weather.

I checked my Fox Moth larvae today and some of them have now begun to spin their cocoons.

At last some Micros are appearing, here are a few from today
1, Ypsolopha mucronella.
2, Acleris cristana.
3, Eriocrania subpurpurella.
4, Bucculatrix ulmella.
Steve

Attachments

• IMG_3502 (Small).JPG
    IMG_3502 (Small).JPG
    21.5 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_3505 (Small).JPG
    IMG_3505 (Small).JPG
    24.1 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_3523 (Small).JPG
    IMG_3523 (Small).JPG
    36.6 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_3534 (Small).JPG
    IMG_3534 (Small).JPG
    37 KB · Views: 67
2 hours last night produced 32 moths of 5 species, and 1 large red ichneumen Wasp (think thats how you spell it??):

11x Hebrew Character
8x Clouded Drab
7x Common Quaker
5x Twin-spot Quaker
1x Water Carpet (n)

Attachments

• Water Carpet (Large).jpg
    Water Carpet (Large).jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 51
Trapped again last night - moved the trap to a different location in the fields - wished I hadn't when I got home and looked at the forecast, with fresh-ish eaterlies.

2.3C on the battery, checked at 7.30am

9 Hebrew Character
1 Water Carpet

!!

Not much in the trap this morning but i did chance upon this Heliozela sericella, which is a first for me.
Steve

Attachments

• IMG_3564 (Small).JPG
    IMG_3564 (Small).JPG
    17.6 KB · Views: 61
caterpillar ID please

Can anyone tell me what this caterpillar is? there seems to be loads of them in my garden just now.

Attachments

• 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    160.1 KB · Views: 58
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    170.3 KB · Views: 73
Too cool for moths here in London.

Just two moths in the trap this morning at Barnes WWT - one Hebrew Character and one Caloptilia species (yet to be looked at/identified).

Martin

Got the trap out at the moment, with a possible Pale Mottled Willow and Common Pug inside. I usually take photos of the moths in the trap, but I have heard somewhere on here that if you store them in the fridge it will keep them calm. Won't it kill a small pug, and is 3C an ok temperature or is that too cold? ... Also, if I put them in those urine sample size containers will they have enough oxygen to survive the night? ... I don't like killing moths ;)

They will survive Billy. It can get much colder outside during the night and that doesn't kill them all! And the oxygen is not a problem.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back