• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mottarone, Lake Maggiore, Italy - Aug, 2019 - Tree Pipit? (1 Viewer)

BobbyJim

These photos were taken at Mottarone, some 1491 metres above sea level. There were quite a number of black redstarts up there but I only saw the one pipit. The more I look at the photos, the more i'm convinced I've finally got a Tree Pipit. However, I'm not often right and I'm fully prepared to be shot down once again. Either way expert help would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_0026 (Copy).JPG
    IMG_0026 (Copy).JPG
    133.8 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_0027 (Copy).JPG
    IMG_0027 (Copy).JPG
    114.3 KB · Views: 27
Thank you. I have been having a bit of banter with my son over this one. He said and I quote "Even the experts struggle to tell them apart, you can only confidently tell them apart by call or behaviour, we once saw one with you at Loch Doon doing the stereotypical flutter vertically from the tree top". I argued my case but his final comment was "Nah, not having it. Stick it on the forum... its a meadow pipit". I have a book that states that the adult Tree Pipit has sandy-brown upperparts that are adorned with dark streaks. The underparts are pale, whitish and unmarked on the throat and belly, but boldly streaked and flushed with yellow-buff on the breast and flanks. There is a rather striking pale supercilium and a dark sub-moustachial stripe. The Pipit in the photo appeared to tie in with that description. Thanks again!

I agree with Tree pipit. Tree pipits are common breeding birds at that elevation in the Alps. Meadow pipits overwinter at lower elevations. Regards, Fabio

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back