• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mount Lewis, near Julatten, Queensland - unknown butterfly (1 Viewer)

Mark Eising

Registered Member
I found this butterfly on Mount Lewis near Julatten, Queensland, on 29 October 2022.
Does anyone know what it may be? Even the name of the family would be helpful!
Thanks!

Attachments

• Butterfly unknown. Mount Lewis, Queensland, Australia, 29 October 2022 1.JPG
    Butterfly unknown. Mount Lewis, Queensland, Australia, 29 October 2022 1.JPG
    360.7 KB · Views: 3
I am not a butterfly person but I would think that this was one of the Philiris species probably Philiris nitens
I just read that there are about 4 or 5 species in this genus occurring in Queensland and it seems that only Philiris nitens resembles the one on my photo. Thank you so much Atropos!

I just read that there are about 4 or 5 species in this genus occurring in Queensland and it seems that only Philiris nitens resembles the one on my photo. Thank you so much Atropos!
And I think possibly one as yet undescribed species from the Cape where I live but would need to check with a friend who is a butterfly guru

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back