• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

MP3 player for very basic recording / playback (1 Viewer)

bitterntwisted

Graham Howard Shortt
I'm looking for a very basic device to carry bird songs and calls in the field. I no longer have the smartphone I've used on previous trips (it went with the job) and my old Creative Muvo TX (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Creative-MuVo-1GB-MP3-Player/dp/B0009U79NW) has only 1Gb of memory and a very limited menu function for finding species in a library of several hundred songs and calls. The great benefit of my smartphone was that I could type in the first few letters of the bird's name and be presented with a list to select from.

It would be nice if it had a built in mic for recording, although I'm not looking for anything which will record the full frequency range for sonograms etc.

Modern devices by Creative, Archos, Apple etc. all seem to have much more functionality and higher price than I need. Is there nothing around for around £30 which has a decent searchable menu screen and decent quality sound output only?

These two seem to do the job I'm looking for but seem to have more functionality than I need, and cost a bit more once the separate case and charger are added...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-San...1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1290208446&sr=1-1
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003XUK8VK/ref=ord_cart_shr?ie=UTF8&m=A2GQI2TM3GLHN9

Also, if anyone has an old Ipod nano or similar which they no longer need thanks to their smartphone I'd be interested in cash conversion.

Thanks,
Graham

Probably not what you're after really, but I've downloaded the 4 cd Jean C Roche Europe songs and calls and the Sibley N American 2 cd set onto my Sony Ericsson K800i phone (not a smart phone per se, but it does have a pretty useful camera too). Takes up to a 4Gb card (although the 2Gb one is more reliable and what I use).

Of course, it's not searchable, but a quick scroll through the menu and knowledge of the vouss order has never let me down. One could always split up the bird families into smaller folders on the computer prior to downloading them for ease of use later.

Not sure on the recording quality and functions on this model to be honest (it does have a mic), although playing the calls seems ok enough.

One of the main pros for using a mobile is of course you always have it with you ...

Probably not what you're after really, but I've downloaded the 4 cd Jean C Roche Europe songs and calls and the Sibley N American 2 cd set onto my Sony Ericsson K800i phone (not a smart phone per se, but it does have a pretty useful camera too). Takes up to a 4Gb card (although the 2Gb one is more reliable and what I use).

Of course, it's not searchable, but a quick scroll through the menu and knowledge of the vouss order has never let me down. One could always split up the bird families into smaller folders on the computer prior to downloading them for ease of use later.

Not sure on the recording quality and functions on this model to be honest (it does have a mic), although playing the calls seems ok enough.

One of the main pros for using a mobile is of course you always have it with you ...

Mobile would be fine, Dan, but I have a Nokia 3310 now... http://electroschematics.com/453/nokia-3310-service-guide-manual/ and it doesn't do anything that clever at all.

Was looking for a cheaper solution than upgrading that. I think I will get a smartphone some time in the next year so don't want to spend money unnecessarily in the meantime.

A phone like yours seems to go for about £75 unlocked on Ebay. Maybe that is my best option, but it only has 512Gb, which wouldn't hold all the Roche CDs at the compression I have them ripped, and I'd like to get them plus the stokes CDs and the Barlow CDs for Gambia all on the same device (as I used to have)

Graham

I don't know if this is any help but I've just bought the Samsung S5230 (£59) phone and have put on some selective birdsong from CDs. I'm still learning to use it but it is easy to navigate and it's loud and you can add extra memory. Volume was a main consideration and this fits the bill. I don't know if it will record.

Graham

I have a sandisk sansa fuze. It records OK. I have the full set of jean roche cd's on it. I also have an x-mini II speaker which is great.

I'm sure the sansa clip will be fine for your needs.

Thanks, Richard and Joanne.

Richard, I have the x-mini speaker. It's superb. I'll take the plunge on the Scandisk if there are no better ideas or suggestions or if I can't get loan of something suitable for my trip on December 1st. I have Amazon Prime so can leave it fairly late.

Graham

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back