• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mr. Iradi's Antillean Palm-Swift … in Spanish (1 Viewer)

Björn Bergenholtz

(former alias "Calalp")
Sweden
Here´s some possible additions on:

iradii
● the subspecies Tachornis phoenicobia iradii LEMBEYE 1850 (here, on p.50) as "Cypselus iradii" or "C. Iradii" (on p.130. here) and "Cypselus Yradii" (on the Plate; No 7, fig.4, here)

Today's HBW Alive Key explains this Eponym as follow:
iradii
Francisco Solá y Iradi (fl. 1850) Cuban landowner (?José Cayetano Iradi) (subsp. Tachornis phoenicobia).
But I think there is little doubt, no need for that question mark (nor for "Francisco Solá y Iradi"), as the following quote is found on p.49, in the Introduction of CYPSELIDAE, directly preceding the OD:
Ninguna de ellas trata de esta especie, por lo cual me atrevo á clasificarla con el apellido de mi amigo D. José Cayetano Iradi.
Este ligero tributo que hoy le consagra mi corazon agradecido, recordará en la Ornitología al jóven que, inflamado por el sacro amor de la ciencia, sacrificó en su obsequio los once años mas floridos de su vida, haciendo escursioues llenas de privaciones y penalidades.
I assume we´re looking for the Cuban Dr. José Cayetano (de?) Iradi*, ornithologist, collector and friend of Juan Lembeye (Mr. Iradi is also mentioned on p. 50, here). However no years found on him.

Also see Repertorio fisico-natural de la isla de Cuba, (here, pp. 46 & 176).

Moreover, see the following links to "José Cayetano de Iradi": here, here, here, here … and onwards.

Disclaimer: This said without any knowledge of Spanish! Helped only by Google Translate.

Who he was? More than the above. I sure don´t know.

Björn
________________________________________________________________________________
*There´s also a certain "José Cayetano Yradi" (here and here), entomologist, from Cuba, to consider!?

In any case not to confuse with "Sr. D. Martin Iradi" listed in Subscribers (LISTA DE LOS SEÑORES SUSCRITORES) of and in the same book as the OD (here).

That´s all! If of any use?

Here looks like he have had a Museum in Cienfuegos.

D. José Cayetano Iradi conserva en Cienfiiegos un Museo exótico y cubano , de mucho mérito ; pero que no puede consultarse, por residir su dueño en un punto distante déla misma jurisdicción.

The Eponym Dictionary of Birds claims as well the wrong

Antillean Palm Swift ssp. Tachornis phoenicobia iradii Lembeye, 1850
Francisco Solá y Iradi (fl.1850) was a Cuban landowner.

In fact the entomologist may need considered if we read here

M. José Cayetano de Iradi , à la Havanne , présenté par M. E. Desmarest , au nom de M. Poey, de la Havanne.

But of course does not bring us any closer to his life dates.

A couple of things:

• D. means Don not Doctor. There is no reason to think he was a Doctor.
  • Y and I are interchangeable in Latin American Spanish so the Entomologist José Cayetano Yradi is almost certainly the same guy.
  • He was probably married in Curacao in 1829.
  • He is still listed in Junks list of Entomologists for 1905
This taxon is discussed here

iradii (pp. 50, 130, 137) / yradii (plate 7) Lembeye, 1850 Peters (1940: 254) cited both spellings and used iradii. Cypselus iradii, now Tachornis phoenicobia iradii [Dickinson, 2003: 252]. Note: The selection conforms with the explicit dedication for “D. José Cayetano Iradi” in the original work. Cory (1918: 146) cited and used “yradii” but has a foot-note saying: “It is evident that yradii is a misprint as the bird was named after Sr. Iradi and the name appears, properly spelled, several times in the work.”
I believe there is a case for this being an unnecessary emmendation as Y and I are interchangeable in Latin American Spanish and there is really no reason for the original spelling to be questioned.

What I find interesting is that classical Latin does not have a Y and yet the code states that names must be Latinised but then it says:

11.2. Mandatory use of Latin alphabet

A scientific name must, when first published, have been spelled only in the 26 letters of the Latin alphabet (taken to include the letters j, k, w and y);

Contradictory much...

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back