• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mr Jackson, and "his" Gull (1 Viewer)

Björn Bergenholtz

(former alias "Calalp")
Sweden
Here are some additional pieces, found along the way (when looking for/checking up some completely different jacksoni Birds), this time regarding the guy commemorated in ...

jacksonii as in:
• in the invalid (European/Common Herring) Gull "L. [Larus] Jacksonii" COUCH 1838 (here):
In the month of March, 1837, I had an opportunity of examining a couple of Gulls killed by Mr. Clement Jackson, of East Looe, and of comparing them with the Herring Gull, shot at the same time; and the comparison has convinced both of us, that they are distinct Species, though hitherto confounded together. ... JACKSON'S GULL. L. Jacksonii. Nobis.

Which, to me, in itself, are adding some parts, to the explanation found in In today's Key:
jacksoni / jacksonii
● ...
● C. Jackson (fl. 1829) English naturalist, collector (syn. Larus argentatus).
● ...

As of right now, simply trusting the OD, with a First given name, and an exact location, maybe it will be easier to find the dedicatee behind "Jackson's Gull", Mr. Clement Jackson, of East Looe, who flourished in 1837, most likely to be found in Cornwall, as this taxon was described in Jonathan Couch's Publication A Cornish Fauna, being a compendium of the natural history of the county : intended to form a companion to the collection in the Museum of the Royal Institution of Cornwall (1838).

Possibly as of this guy? "Will of Clement Jackson, Druggist of Borough of East Looe , Cornwall" (dated 09 July, 1856), and note that he was still active (if it's him of course) in the early 1850s (here).

Also see here (from 1838). He's equally mentioned by Yarrell (in 1843), here. And in a far more modern blog post, by Derek Spooner (here, which incl. some nice Bird Photos):
The great Victorian naturalist from Polperro, Dr Jonathan Couch, recorded that his friend Clement Jackson, the Looe pharmacist, had seen 20 [Loons/Divers Gavia sp.] in the Looe Roads, one day in 1853. Jackson shot many of his sightings to present to Couch.

🧩🧩🧩

To me, it looks like "our guy", Mr Jackson, was still around, well into the 1850's ...

Though, I (strongly) doubt it's either one of the following Clement Jackson/s, both from East Looe; Senior ("abt. 1700 - 1767"), or Junior ("abt. 1739 - 1819"), but I think he might be descendant of theirs ... possibly in a long line of guys by the name Clement Jackson. :unsure:

Eiter way; he's not to confuse with any of the other Jacksons, commemorated in various different Birds (see the Key here), nor with the British explorer (of the Siberian Arctic) Frederick (George) Jackson, 1860-1938, who (among other places) visited Zemlya Frantsa-Iosifa [Franz Josef Land] in 1896. Those were all far away from Cornwall.

All in all, enjoy!

Björn

PS. Also see Schinz 1840, here, where the same Gull was called Jacksons Meve (i.e. same name, same meaning, but in German), and erroneously cut short, as "Larus Jacksoni " (with single ending-i).

Last edited:
Clement Jackson (1802-1856)
Birth6 May 1802 East Looe, Cornwall, England
Death28 May 1856 East Looe, Cornwall, England
FatherEliphaz Jackson (Born 1766)
MotherHannah Westcombe (1771-1854)
In 1851 census unmarried living with his mother. Occupation "Druggist"

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back