• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mt. Mitchell Juncos? (1 Viewer)

Fandango739

GeoBird
United States
I was just at the summit of Mt. Mitchell and saw Dark-eyed Juncos. Thing is, they seemed a bit paler than those at lower elevation, particularly the females. Has anyone else noticed this or is this just a random observation?

Thanks.

My wife and I were on the Commissary Trail just below the summit last week. We saw a few Juncos, none of which seemed out of the normal color range. Females are not a deep dark as are the males and there are still young juncos which are also not as dark but also streaked on the underparts.
I haven’t heard any other reports of odd colorations in that location.
You may be familiar with the overlook on the Parkway at the beginning of the entrance road (Rt 128) known as Ridge Junction. This is a favorite destination for birders this time of year including birding guides who may have further input on the junco subject. Even if you don’t connect with a knowledgeable birder with other opinions, the birding there is often pretty fabulous.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back