• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Museum mount ID help needed-Australia? (1 Viewer)

ACO

Since I do not know the species, I am not sure of what country to list in the subject line, but something is pointing to Australia for this one, but obviously not sure. Overall length 20-22 cm.

Attachments

• Unknown-species-15.jpg
    Unknown-species-15.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 62
Immediate reaction without checking books is common mynah which is found as an escape in a lot of places (including OZ) but originating in Asia and India

Niels

Yes, Common Myna, native to India and SE Asia but introduced to various places including southern Florida, also (according to Feare and Craig's 1999 book "Starlings and Mynas") South Africa, New Zealand, and SE Australia.

Yes, Common Myna, native to India and SE Asia but introduced to various places including southern Florida, also (according to Feare and Craig's 1999 book "Starlings and Mynas") South Africa, New Zealand, and SE Australia.

You can throw in Hawaii to that list, as well. They're about the most common bird you can see on the Big Island.

Jim

I have not been to Hawaii, but I have seen Common Myna in South Africa (two different towns), Florida (Miami), and Australia (both south-east and north-east (Vic and Qld).

Niels

There's an extermination programme underway in Cairns right now using trapping which was successful in getting rid of them in Canberra. Doesn't seem to have made much impact on numbers as yet...

...and to Ascension Island in the Atlantic Ocean...:C
MJB

There's an extermination programme underway in Cairns right now using trapping which was successful in getting rid of them in Canberra. Doesn't seem to have made much impact on numbers as yet...

It didn't get rid of them in Canberra. Reduced their numbers somewhat in those areas where people did trap them. But in untrapped areas they remained ever-present. I left Canberra for Perth (where they are not present) 10 months ago and when I left the number around my area in the far southern suburbs was as high as it had ever been in the 10 years I lived at that location.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back