• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My 1st feeder: where shall I put it? (photos provided) (1 Viewer)

Guilhem37

Hi! I bought a window feeder and a sunflower heart bag ( No-Mess Bird Seed | No Mess Sunflower Mix - RSPB Shop ) from RSPB and I would like advice regarding the best place where to put it.

See photos: basically, I have a 6 square meters open space closed between 4 walls. Only me has access to this space from my room. The neighborhood is quiet. Behind the wall in front of my door, there are a few trees including coniferous trees that attract tits and goldfinches. The upper part of this open space is well visible from the canopy of the coniferous trees (even though it might not look like it is on the photos).

So far, I have put the feeder at the top of my door (see feeder highlighted on the photo) but I could try other places against the walls.
I don't know what is best: high and visible? in a corner or in the middle of a wall? on the wall in front of my door for easier escape or on my window for better hide?

Please give me advice 🙏
I just put it yesterday night so I haven't experienced much yet. As far as I can tell, I haven't been visited yet.

I also plan to add a bird bath & drinker if the feeder is successful.

Thank you :)

Attachments

• open space from my room.jpg
    open space from my room.jpg
    526.4 KB · Views: 7
  • the open space.jpg
    the open space.jpg
    941 KB · Views: 7
  • feeder.jpg
    feeder.jpg
    488.7 KB · Views: 6
  • open space from the back garden.jpg
    open space from the back garden.jpg
    574.5 KB · Views: 7
  • the back garden.jpg
    the back garden.jpg
    585.7 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Hi Guilhem

That looks like a window feeder that has suction pads, so really only seems to be suitable for sticking on a window. I live in a first floor flat and it took them about three months to find mine, so be patient. I now get lots of birds.

What isn't clear, is how you manage to fill it (does that window open?) My window is in two parts, the lower part fixed, the upper part opens, so I can fill from above.

One thing to be aware of, these suction pads can suddenly lose their grip, so a secondary fixing is a good idea, otherwise it will all crash to the ground. I've fed some string through the suction pad hole and tied it to one of those tiny hooks that screw in to wood. It doesn't need to be a professional job, as no real weight is involved.

Your big problem, as far as I can see, is attracting birds to the area in the first place. Also, as a bird sees it, a place of safety nearby to flee to if a Sparrowhawk comes. Can you put some small shrubs in tubs (preferably native berry producing shrubs).

The bird bath and drinker would be a good first step, actually. ;)

Hi Guilhem

That looks like a window feeder that has suction pads, so really only seems to be suitable for sticking on a window. I live in a first floor flat and it took them about three months to find mine, so be patient. I now get lots of birds.

What isn't clear, is how you manage to fill it (does that window open?) My window is in two parts, the lower part fixed, the upper part opens, so I can fill from above.

One thing to be aware of, these suction pads can suddenly lose their grip, so a secondary fixing is a good idea, otherwise it will all crash to the ground. I've fed some string through the suction pad hole and tied it to one of those tiny hooks that screw in to wood. It doesn't need to be a professional job, as no real weight is involved.

Your big problem, as far as I can see, is attracting birds to the area in the first place. Also, as a bird sees it, a place of safety nearby to flee to if a Sparrowhawk comes. Can you put some small shrubs in tubs (preferably native berry producing shrubs).

The bird bath and drinker would be a good first step, actually. ;)
Thank you for your time: the feeder is wide open. See the photo here: Gothic arch window feeder - Window feeders - save nature while you shop

Yes, I think it might fall, that's why I don't put too much food in it. I just hope it won't break. I think I will move the feeder down the wall/window once the birds will be used to it.
I don't think I can improve the support because it's a wall. I'm pretty sure I can put the feeder on the walls though.

My first challenge is to make the birds come, I will look at the other issues afterwards :)

The shrug is a good idea, I wanted to put some plants here anyway. However I have a few things to buy these days and I guess buying a half grown shrug would be a budget. I'll have a look into it.

You seem to say a bird bath would definitely attract some birds: do you think something like this could work?

Bird bath: Bronze Bird Water Bath - RSPB Shop

Last edited:
I just hope it won't break
Yes, they will break, especially falling onto concrete. I've had two break falling onto grass! The weight of the food is probably negligible, but combined with two or three (or more) birds fighting over occupancy..... so do try and fashion something to secure it. Maybe using screws or something as a permanent fixture. That's not a cheep ('scuse the pun it was accidental) feeder.

Just noticed something interesting: I have 2 big screws that pop out of the wall (see photo attached). I could add a string to support the feeder.

Also, do you think it would help the birds if I hanged a pot of a small but thick, bushy plant to one of the screw (see 2nd photo)?

Attachments

• IMG_20210703_113517_compress19.jpg
    IMG_20210703_113517_compress19.jpg
    600.7 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20210703_114315.jpg
    IMG_20210703_114315.jpg
    233.4 KB · Views: 3
Anything with water in will attract them usually.

I've had one on my pole feeder (which they completely ignored. Then I found them drinking from an old bucket (not mine, don't know who put it there.... shared garden). So you could even use an old dustbin lid if you want, until they find you LOL.

Just do your best, within your budget.

Anything with water in will attract them usually.

I've had one on my pole feeder (which they completely ignored. Then I found them drinking from an old bucket (not mine, don't know who put it there.... shared garden). So you could even use an old dustbin lid if you want, until they find you LOL.

Just do your best, within your budget.
I have a big kitchen bin and we never use the lid: I will clean it and use it for the birds. If they like it, I'll buy something suitable.

Good idea. Remember it may take a while for them to spot what you're providing. Then they have to trust it.

Then you'll wonder how you're going to keep up with their needs.

At the moment I've around 20 juvenile Starlings.... they get through 4 fat balls in a few hours and three coconut halves in a few days. In addition to seeds and meal worms, peanuts that the other birds like. I'm getting poorer by the day LOL.

But it is fun watching all the antics and battles.

Good idea. Remember it may take a while for them to spot what you're providing. Then they have to trust it.

Then you'll wonder how you're going to keep up with their needs.

At the moment I've around 20 juvenile Starlings.... they get through 4 fat balls in a few hours and three coconut halves in a few days. In addition to seeds and meal worms, peanuts that the other birds like. I'm getting poorer by the day LOL.

But it is fun watching all the antics and battles.
Ahah great, I hope I won't attract starlings though, they tend to chase away the other birds :)

Done (photos): I put a few seeds as well.
I'll be wary of rats though, if I suspect something, I'll remove the seeds from the floor. I might attract a black bird with that too :)

Attachments

• IMG_20210703_123432_compress35.jpg
    IMG_20210703_123432_compress35.jpg
    660.9 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20210703_123508_compress15.jpg
    IMG_20210703_123508_compress15.jpg
    852.3 KB · Views: 5
I'd move the water away from the feeder though. Birds can be messy feeders. Perhaps put it in the middle of the yard, where it should be more visible to fly-over birds.

Was at work till late but looks like no luck so far.
I ordered a few super suet balls, will put 1 on the feeder to make the meal more visible.
However, I suspect the main issue is the lack of plants and vegetation around. I hope a bushy plant hanged nearby will solve the issue. I'm wondering if it's not too close either, that the birds feel like getting trapped by coming to the feeder.
I'm pretty sure they have noticed the seeds though, everyday I can see a few tits moving through the backyard garden, and the sight of a bird is better than ours.

You will have to be patient Guilhem. I did say it took about three months for them to find my window feeder.

I was on the point of giving up when I saw a Blue Tit feeding there one morning when I came through. They now bring their babies to show them the feeding ropes. There's 5 juveniles at the moment.

You will have to be patient Guilhem. I did say it took about three months for them to find my window feeder.

I was on the point of giving up when I saw a Blue Tit feeding there one morning when I came through. They now bring their babies to show them the feeding ropes. There's 5 juveniles at the moment.
Yes, yes, I know. It's just I read people who got birds straight away so I feel like I have something to fix. I guess some people are lucky, or better located 😔

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back