• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My Baltimore County Year! (1 Viewer)

swankyspoon

This year, I plan to focus on my local area, that is Baltimore City and Baltimore County. I started birding in mid-2012, so this will be my first year birding a full year. Since I am new to birding, this year will be a learning experience, and will hopefully produce a number of lifers. I have a six-week-old boy, Eugene, so he will be my assistant :) through the year. I started my 2013 birding year later in the day than I had hoped: watching my porch and taking out the recycling. Still, it was busy out there:

January 1, 2013

1) Dark-Eyed Junco (Delighted my first of 2013 was not a House Sparrow!)
2) House Sparrow
3) Carolina Chickadee
4) Blue Jay
5) Northern Mockingbird
6) White-Breasted Nuthatch
7) House Finch
8) Downy Woodpecker
9) Red-Bellied Woodpecker
10) White-Throated Sparrow
11) Northern Cardinal.

I then went with my trusted assistant Eugene to a nearby patch with a pond that is pretty good for birds. I got nine more, including a lifer!

12) Feral Pigeon (On the way there)
13) American Crow
14) Canada Goose
15) Mallard
16) Ring-Billed Gull
17) Hooded Merganser B :)
18) American Robin
19) European Starling (On the way back)
20) Song Sparrow (On the way back)

I didn't get a lot of time out there (it was quite cold), so I was quite pleased with my start, and especially happy to find a lifer. It helped that Eugene slept through most of our trek.

Last edited:
Day #2 of the year. I didn't have a chance to go out, except to drop off the rent check. Still, I ticked off two birds for the year: one of the smallest birds in the area, and one of the largest.

January 2, 2013

21) Golden-Crowned Kinglet (A really clear and long look at this fast-moving bird)
22) Turkey Vulture

Last edited:
I got two more today. The first was outside the window (and I cannot believe it took me three days to find one). The second was found on a short walk with Eugene, feeding under a pine tree in a flock of Juncos.

January 3, 2013

23) Mourning Dove
24) Red-Breasted Nuthatch

Last edited:
Three more birds today, all without my assistant, as I tick off more of the easy ones. The first was a pair of black vultures soaring by our development, when I went out for fresh air.

The other two were found in Reisterstown. One flying overhead, with its characteristic nasal call, and the other was a male perched in a woodlot in the late afternoon(bluebirds seem to be tougher for me to find than they should be, so I was glad to find one early in the year).

There were also a pair of BOPs today that I believe were Red-Tailed Hawks, but I just didn't feel comfortable ticking (fortunately in this case, I am certainly that I will get an unambiguous sighting before the year is out)

January 5, 2013

25) Black Vulture
26) Fish Crow
27) Eastern Bluebird

Last edited:
A quick afternoon walk in my home patch today led to two of the remaining 'easy ticks' around for the winter.

January 6, 2013
28) Carolina Wren
29) American Goldfinch

Last edited:
I went looking for Crossbills today in a Pikesville cemetery (we have had an irruption in the county). No luck: there were two 'suspicious' looking birds, but nothing I could come close to IDing. I did get two more easier ticks today, the first on the way, and the second at the cemetery.

January 8, 2013

30) Cooper's Hawk
31) Tufted Titmouse

Last edited:
Took Eugene out for a walk, and got #32. I also must have seen at least half-a-dozen Golden-Crowned Kinglets, but didn't get the Ruby-Crowned I still need.

January 9, 2013

32) Red-Shouldered Hawk

A trip to Druid Ridge Park in Baltimore City yielded three more, one of which was, embarrassingly, a lifer. Also, I am so sure I saw a Brown Creeper, but just not quite sure enough....

January 17, 2013

34) American Coot B :)
35) Ruddy Duck
36) Red-Winged Blackbird

Last edited:
I have been pretty busy, and my birding has been confined almost exclusively to my home turf. However, today I popped by Quarry Lake in heavy wind for 15 minutes and knocked off two easy birds that had been eluding me:

January 31, 2013

37) Great Blue Heron
38) Red-Tailed Hawk

Braved cold and wind at a Pikesville pond and got a fairly common lifer I was missing.

February 1, 2013

#39 Ring-Necked Duck B :)

Last edited:
Whew! It's been a while since I've found a new 2013 bird. I haven't had much chance to bird outside off my home turf, but today Eugene & I found a Hermit Thrush on our daily walk around our development (making it the first Hermit Thrush I've seen in the development). Meanwhile, it is bizarre that I haven't seen a Flicker thus far this year....Flicker.... we're waiting...

March 4, 2013

#40 Hermit Thrush

Last edited:
Went for a stroll around the woods of my development and got my first Brown Creeper. The bird flew onto a tree around six feet from me!

March 10, 2013

#41 Brown Creeper B :)

This common one should have been on my list in the first week of the year. I'm not sure why it kept eluding me...

March 23, 2013

#42 Northern Flicker

Spring has Sprung, evidenced by the Phoebe in the brambles 50-100 yards from our new apartment.

April 3, 2013

#45 Eastern Phoebe

Users who are viewing this thread

Back