• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My current favourites (1 Viewer)

Our eyes a different. I bought new 8x32 BNs and Nikon SEs to compare. I loved everything about the BNs, that Leica view, their feel in the hands, the sturdy build quality, only problem I got kidney beans with them. I had to hold them just so to get the full picture.

On the other hand, the 8x32 SEs fit my eyes like a glove, we’re a little brighter, sharper edges, but very similar to the BN otherwise. I ended up reluctantly selling the BNs and own the SEs to this day. This was back around 2009.
Hello John,

Different strokes for different folks. I had the "kidney bean" issue with the SE, but not with the Leica BN.

Stay safe,
Arthur

Great news about the glass.
You wait til they come back. My first 8x32 BN's had gone through the Leica service. They were superb!!

Are Leica charging you for this, or is it under the BN's 30yr gaurantee
I actually posted the detail on another thread, but Leica have so far been incredibly forthcoming and helpful.

My first conversation with them led to me sending the binoculars to the London office for them to ship the binoculars to Portugal for service. That initial call was followed up with another call from a lady in their Customer Care department who informed me that the binoculars were manufactured in 2003 and were covered by a valid 30 year warranty, so 10 years remaining. I don't possess the original warranty card, but enclosed a copy of the purchase receipt instead. In the end, I don't think this was necessary. I then received an email from the same customer care lady yesterday, to say that the binoculars had been shipped to the factory in Portugal, where they would be opened up by a technician and inspected. She would then come back to me with the findings. Any necessary repair due to impact damage or negligence will be chargeable, but all the work done relating to general wear and tear (servicing, cleaning, replacement parts, replacement armour etc.) will be covered under the warranty. She indicated a time frame of approximately 3 weeks.

I have to say I'm super impressed by Leica’s response and communication so far. I'll keep you posted! 🙂

James

I actually posted the detail on another thread, but Leica have so far been incredibly forthcoming and helpful.

My first conversation with them led to me sending the binoculars to the London office for them to ship the binoculars to Portugal for service. That initial call was followed up with another call from a lady in their Customer Care department who informed me that the binoculars were manufactured in 2003 and were covered by a valid 30 year warranty, so 10 years remaining. I don't possess the original warranty card, but enclosed a copy of the purchase receipt instead. In the end, I don't think this was necessary. I then received an email from the same customer care lady yesterday, to say that the binoculars had been shipped to the factory in Portugal, where they would be opened up by a technician and inspected. She would then come back to me with the findings. Any necessary repair due to impact damage or negligence will be chargeable, but all the work done relating to general wear and tear (servicing, cleaning, replacement parts, replacement armour etc.) will be covered under the warranty. She indicated a time frame of approximately 3 weeks.

I have to say I'm super impressed by Leica’s response and communication so far. I'll keep you posted! 🙂

James
Brilliant, thanks for taking the time to reply(y)

Hello John,

Different strokes for different folks. I had the "kidney bean" issue with the SE, but not with the Leica BN.

Stay safe,
Arthur
Hi Arthur,

I know. I read a lot about people having that problem with the SEs, so I was quite worried about it. Then I get them and they fit me perfectly. That was when I first realized how different we all are. I have good vision, but very deep set eyes which seems to be a problem with some bins, but seemed to mesh well with the SEs.

Best regards,
John

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back