• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My current favourites (1 Viewer)

Rg548

Retired Somewhere
United Kingdom
20230108_092535.jpg
I'm using these at the moment. I always wanted a pair years ago, and couldn't afford it back then.
I found these in a local shop, just refurbed by Leica, looked through them and bought them there and then, mainly on nostalgia,
The view is so much better than I was expecting.
It's not technically up with the new stuff as far as CA, field edge sharpness etc. FOV is only 135m.
But the joy of using them far surpasses all of this, with a rich detailed beautiful view.
Along with the size, and weight of around 600g, I find I am picking these up all the time.
I'm currently thinking that these are possibly my favourite of all time..... I just love them, and have strange amount of pride of ownership when using them out and about.
For me, I've found it's not all about the technical perfection of optics, which I fear is an endless game, but the ownership and attachment to an instrument. There is NOTHING I am missing out and about with these. Nothing an NL Pure or Zeiss SF would see that these won't!!
Always wanted a Habicht, but when I test them against new stuff, they are always slightly lacking in areas..... but this Leica purchase has somewhat changed my opinion on that.... Habichts would also be nice 'to own' and enjoy.

Last edited:
These Leica Trinovid 8x32 BN's have been on eBay for over a year, I think! You could almost buy an NL for what he is asking $1799.95. Don't try to lowball him, either! He will get all pissed off.

These Leica Trinovid 8x32 BN's have been on eBay for over a year, I think! You could almost buy an NL for what he is asking $1799.95. Don't try to lowball him, either! He will get all pissed off.

Oh my God!!!

But seriously what is a reasonable market price for Leica BA/BN’s?
I understand that if you buy a completely serviced and refurbed piece you pay more but almost 2 K?

Ok... so moving on, since owning these the last few months, I decided to try and find the best pair I could.
Today I bought these.... search over!!
They are unused, 154serial number, all boxes, paperwork and accessories, all as new...
I had to pay £675 ($815)
So that guy on ebay (post#8) is a way off the mark.
Still, someone may go for it..... God loves a trier:oops:
I will let the original ones go at some point.
Love these BN's(y)20230108_123208.jpg

But seriously what is a reasonable market price for Leica BA/BN’s?
I understand that if you buy a completely serviced and refurbed piece you pay more but almost 2 K?
The range I've seen lately is $500-700 for excellent condition, maybe a bit more for 50mm, depending on accessories etc. And recently serviced would be good since the Leica warranty is not transferable. $1799 is of course ridiculous. They are absolute classics though; we still love ours and have enjoyed seeing several others locally.

Having said that (Rg548 might want to look away now) I have to confess that the FL 32 we recently acquired is a strong competitor, with brighter dielectric mirrors and the legendary Zeiss center sharpness which was never Leica's strong point. It's a very interesting comparison that helps me sort out what I value most today.

I think an excellent specimen 32/42/50 will command over $700 easily, I have not seen an excellent sample for $500, the optics might be clean but the armor is usually heavily used, it depends on what you value.

One has to wonder what this seller is smoking.

One has to wonder what this seller is smoking.
I low balled him at $850, and he got all pissed off! He said not to contact him again. He either doesn't want to sell them that bad or he figures if he leaves them on eBay for a couple of years, he will eventually find somebody stupid enough to buy them. By the time he sells them, all the seals will be dried up, and the nitrogen gas will have leaked out. 😁

Last edited:
Having said that (Rg548 might want to look away now) I have to confess that the FL 32 we recently acquired is a strong competitor, with brighter dielectric mirrors and the legendary Zeiss center sharpness which was never Leica's strong point. It's a very interesting comparison that helps me sort out what I value most today.
No worries, there are plenty of good optics out there.... this is a blast from the past for me, a touch of nostalgia..... but i've always had a thing for BN's.
I do happen to like a nice FL tho (y)

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back