• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My current favourites (1 Viewer)

In my very limited experience, I’ve tended to like the Leica view somewhat less than the physical objects themselves. They’re gorgeous things to hold and look at, but, looking through them, I always feel like I’m missing something, and that it’s down to my - I’m not sure - lack of a more ‘refined optical palate’? If there even is such a thing!

Swarovski has a more ‘obvious’ kind of quality, which hits right between the eyes, like champagne. I think of Leica as being like a fine whisky, for more cultivated tastes.

Basically, I want to like the Leica view as much as the binos themselves. But it’s not happened yet. I still take every opportunity I can to look through them.

All very subjective, of course 🙂
Ironic, I feel the exact opposite, and I have both.

In my very limited experience, I’ve tended to like the Leica view somewhat less than the physical objects themselves. They’re gorgeous things to hold and look at, but, looking through them, I always feel like I’m missing something, and that it’s down to my - I’m not sure - lack of a more ‘refined optical palate’? If there even is such a thing!

Swarovski has a more ‘obvious’ kind of quality, which hits right between the eyes, like champagne. I think of Leica as being like a fine whisky, for more cultivated tastes.

Basically, I want to like the Leica view as much as the binos themselves. But it’s not happened yet. I still take every opportunity I can to look through them.

I find the Swaros generally less preferable to look through, i've always loved that Leica view. Swaros to me are a bit more clinical. Not worse, just not so much to my taste.... Still love a Habicht tho.... can't help it😖

I think quite the opposite, the two Swarovski‘s i have are outstanding optical tools but my Leica’s have this magical view.
The Swarovski’s are so bright that it sometimes hurt my eyes and brains, maybe I’m too sensitive for brightness. Very good machined tools though ;)

Basically, I want to like the Leica view as much as the binos themselves. But it’s not happened yet.
Having recently made a sort of brand transition myself, here's my own ranking of various desiderata:
(in fairness, Nikon EDGs also rate highly by all these criteria but involve extra effort and service risk)

1) freedom from ugly aberrations/smearing in outer field (a real deal-breaker for me for some reason)
--- Zeiss has often done poorly here, though SF/SFL are now better
2) degree and extent of central sharpness
--- Leica hasn't matched Zeiss/Swaro, except maybe Noctivid
3) overall aesthetic (color/contrast etc)
--- Leica is very pretty, though some debate remains over "sparkle"
4) physical/mechanical impression
--- many Zeiss models are gratuitously ugly and seem less solid

Consequently I'm a Swaro (SLC) guy now, and more inclined to reach for my wife's "new" FL 32 than our trusty BN. But obviously #3 is very much a matter of personal taste, while #2 might also reflect application, e.g. birding vs general scenic?

No they will not, and if you send in a green one that needs an armor replacement, it will be replaced with black armor.
Got an email from a sweet lady at Leica Portugal today in response to my question regarding the armor, the call it reinforcement btw :

“Thank you for your Email.

Yes we can change the reinforcement to green. Please send us your binoculars so that we can prepare a cost estimate.”

So it seems they can replace it with green armor/reinforcement. I asked if they also do blue. Was too shy to ask for red, sorry :)

Having recently made a sort of brand transition myself, here's my own ranking of various desiderata:
(in fairness, Nikon EDGs also rate highly by all these criteria but involve extra effort and service risk)

1) freedom from ugly aberrations/smearing in outer field (a real deal-breaker for me for some reason)
--- Zeiss has often done poorly here, though SF/SFL are now better
2) degree and extent of central sharpness
--- Leica hasn't matched Zeiss/Swaro, except maybe Noctivid
3) overall aesthetic (color/contrast etc)
--- Leica is very pretty, though some debate remains over "sparkle"
4) physical/mechanical impression
--- many Zeiss models are gratuitously ugly and seem less solid

Consequently I'm a Swaro (SLC) guy now, and more inclined to reach for my wife's "new" FL 32 than our trusty BN. But obviously #3 is very much a matter of personal taste, while #2 might also reflect application, e.g. birding vs general scenic?
I never looked trough a Swarovski SLC or a Zeiss FL but I’m sure i would be perfectly happy with this setup.
Honestly I don’t have a brand preference but i don’t have all this experience you guys here have with SF, NL Noctovid. Never looked trough even one of them. For some reason i end up up with Leica mostly.

Got an email from a sweet lady at Leica Portugal today in response to my question regarding the armor, the call it reinforcement btw :

“Thank you for your Email.

Yes we can change the reinforcement to green. Please send us your binoculars so that we can prepare a cost estimate.”

So it seems they can replace it with green armor/reinforcement. I asked if they also do blue. Was too shy to ask for red, sorry :)
That is great news, but not here in the US I believe.

That is great news, but not here in the US I believe.
Yes it is great news. Maybe if you ask specific for green at the US repair department before sending in the binocular that they can arrange something? For me this is all new, I didn’t recieved my Trinovid even. Had my Swift Audubon repaired once though when it felt from a table and was out of collimation. They churched 100 Dutch guilders back then. Before the euro, life was good.

You can't say I didn't give them a fair chance then.
I miss the 8x20 ultras most, should never have sold them, those really hit the spot.
The funny thing was I could not get on with the renowned 7x42, funny old game this binocular lark.
🙂
Yeah you're right. I can fully appreciate the Swaro NL Pure thing ..... huge field, crystal clear, sharp to the edge, great build... but I just find the view very uninvolving.... too 'clinical' maybe. Bit cold, but incredible detail and clarity for sure.
It just doesn't float my boat. I did a side by side Pure to Meostar comparison, and prefer the Meostar which I find have a very Leica like view.
Colourful, warm ish, beautiful.
I fully understand they cannot compete with the Pures technical prowess.... but I like looking through them better, simple!!
I even prefer my new 'old' BN's. They have a gorgeous view to behold. Way behind in todays market.... but i like 'em.

Yeah you're right. I can fully appreciate the Swaro NL Pure thing ..... huge field, crystal clear, sharp to the edge, great build... but I just find the view very uninvolving.... too 'clinical' maybe. Bit cold, but incredible detail and clarity for sure.
It just doesn't float my boat. I did a side by side Pure to Meostar comparison, and prefer the Meostar which I find have a very Leica like view.
Colourful, warm ish, beautiful.
I fully understand they cannot compete with the Pures technical prowess.... but I like looking through them better, simple!!
I even prefer my new 'old' BN's. They have a gorgeous view to behold. Way behind in todays market.... but i like 'em.
Thanks Rg, my binocular journey started with a Trinovid HD, it's a day I won't forget, those gorgeous colours and the ultra sharp glass that baths the eyes in its glorious warmth.
I have yet to try a Meostar, here in the UK I cannot find a stockist but have always heard them garner excellent remarks.
Eye comfort/strain is a big part of my evaluation in buying a binocular, Swarovski has been consistent in allowing me trouble free comfortable viewing, the only Swarovski I had trouble with was the Habicht which I think was too bright for me, however it's view is utterly majestic and an experience I won't forget.
My main past time is astronomy, so for me Swarovski is the obvious choice with it's wide flat field and tack sharp glass, I haven't had a better view of the heavens... yet.
There is also another aspect to the Pure that for me I don't experience with other binoculars, they can give a good sense of being part of the viewed scene, no binocular in the way so to speak.
It's not perfect, I have trouble sometimes with the view in high contrast situations, maybe some glare.
I think Wills remarks were spot on in his earlier post, Swarovski for me lands between Leica and Zeiss, I don't see the view as cold, just right, not too warm.
It's good to have so much choice.
It sounds like you have found a good partner in those BNs 👍

"Yes we can change the reinforcement to green."
That's very surprising. You didn't mention which format you have? "Hunter green" was a special edition of 10x42 and 8x50 only, while the paler green armor on original Trinovids was even older (early 1990s). I wonder which you may get.

That's very surprising. You didn't mention which format you have? "Hunter green" was a special edition of 10x42 and 8x50 only, while the paler green armor on original Trinovids was even older (early 1990s). I wonder which you may get.
The format is 7x42 BN.

Which two did you chosse, and why please.
About two years ago i saw this 10x40 GA for sale, only one year old and in mint condition for 750 euro and thought that’s a real tough son of a gun Porro waterproof backup as replacement/backup for my trusted Swift Audubon 10x50. Never regret it, lightweight, solid, (sometimes too) bright and old skool Porro. Only drawbacks are the fogging up sometimes and as said i find this binocular sometimes too bright for my taste. When i used on Crete in the summer in the daytime I preferred on of my Leica’s.

Then i have also a 8x30 GA with IF and i bought this as a hiking binocular as it is the most tough binocular i could find and I like it even more then the 10x40. In the end i think my Leica 8x32 UVHD is beter as a hiking binocular though, it’s handy to be able to close focus on subjects nearby. EDIT: and smaller and lighter.

Last edited:
As long as it is not Neon Green I’m happy

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back