• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

My First Ever Birding Day (1 Viewer)

Procreus

United States
I went birding for the first time today at a local wildlife reserve, and I had a blast!

I have only ever seen the birds near my house so it was really cool to see quite a few new ones. The entire area is massive and I barely explored a half mile from the car there were so many different birds to look at. There was even an area that was closed off because it was an osprey nesting grounds.

The birds I saw were:
Robins
Red Wing Black Birds
American Coots
European Starlings
90% sure I saw an Osprey looking for breakfast
Black Billed Magpie
White Crowned Sparrows
And a ton of what I believe are Cliff Swallows

All in all it was a great morning and I can’t wait to go again this weekend. I felt like a kid again literally running around trying to get a better view of that Osprey as he was moving from tree to tree.
I’m not great at taking pictures, however this Robin was singing me a beautiful song was I was admiring her(?) so I had to grab a picture the best I could!

Attachments

• C2737691-B5A1-4D92-99C9-615478DE6FB4.png
    C2737691-B5A1-4D92-99C9-615478DE6FB4.png
    10.8 MB · Views: 8

YuShan

hikingbirdman.com
United Kingdom
Warning: you'll get addicted! :)
It happened to me too. About 10 years ago, I changed within one year from somebody who can hardly identify the commonest of birds to somebody who keeps lists and almost every trip I make now involves at least some birding.

Procreus

United States
Welcome to the club.

If it's singing, then it's almost invariably male.
Thanks for that info, I never thought about that before but it definitely makes sense. I was trying to go off of the colors, but I'm finding it's kind of difficult with robins sometimes as the males/females can be pretty similar in color

Users who are viewing this thread