• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

my garden visitors - the squirrel family (1 Viewer)

vicky@glos

Hi all,
I did promise to put a few pictures here of my grey squirrels.

Firstly is a picture of the female mother squirrel.

Photograph was taken in June 2002.

Vicky@glos

second picture

Here is a picture of the father male squirrel.

Notice his red feet.

This was also taken June 2002.

I have not seen him at all over this winter so far. He has either moved on or the worst has happened and he is no longer around.

Vicky@glos

Attachments

• father-squirrel1.jpg
    father-squirrel1.jpg
    240.2 KB · Views: 327
one of their young

Here is a picture of one of last summer's young.
Picture taken June 2002.

Vicky@glos

Attachments

• baby-squirrel1.jpg
    baby-squirrel1.jpg
    198.1 KB · Views: 303
And what a few months can do!

Here is one on the babies just last month Jan.2003.
After the peanuts in next door's garden (Thankfully).

This is the last picture for now. I hope you like then.

Vicky@glos

Attachments

• squirrelbay-peanuts1.jpg
    squirrelbay-peanuts1.jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 330
Last edited:
Vicky,
You shouldn't have shown us your squirrel family - you should have kept it a secret.

Secret ? Squirrel ? Oh, forget it.

Tony

Lovely squirrel pictures Vicky, I have a visitor this winter. He or she raids the cocunut feeders, how do you sex them?

I noticed the male by his red feet and his size against the female. The female was calm and the male was trying his luck at everything.

Then I noticed that they have black noses. The male, I had thought has lines down either size of his nose these were very dark. The female have lighter lines.

So first I noticed the male. Then a few weeks later came the female. And they one day the two youngester appeared with them. So I got to tell them apart.

I also noticed that the red mixed in with there gray coat gives them marking too.

The father male does not visit now. I see the female and the two young almost everyday. One of the youngsters has a red stripe down it's back. The female now has a chunk taken out of her left ear. So when she is close enough I know it's her.
I assume this chunk was done resently and may have been as a fight with the father male.

I also think that a few weeks ago another squirrel was near by to this family as I have seen four squirrels altogether but it was not the father from last year.

If you want to see the squirrels closer put peanuts nearer to your window. At first they may run away with the food but as they get used to you, they will sit and eat their food as close as you put it out to your window.

I'm getting more photo developed in a few days. In the pictures above you can see how close my birdtable is to my frontroom window. Just keep putting out food and they will find it.

I'm now having trouble keeping my squirrels off my washing line as they are always after the fat balls too. I hand my bird feeders from the washing line. I thought this would keep the squirrels off the feeders. I have seem them jump up to the feeders if they think they can get to them.

And now for something different!

I took some photo's of my other garden visitors on Monday morning -my local fox family. They collected the chicken carcus last night from my garden. If you have foxes visiting you, if you wish to feed them do it now. As the female is about to give birth this month to her litter of cubs. If you keep putting food out in a few short months time the cubs will visit you too.

I had two last year sat under my birdtable. It was just light enough for me to see them. They were also making nosies as they where eating my birdfood.

Any other questions ?

Vicky@glos

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back