• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My Garden (1 Viewer)

yamyam

I was doing some work in my Garden today when i heard the familer call of Goldfinch i was dead chuffed to see 2 birds land on the fence not far from where i was working i have been liveing in this house for 23 years and this was a new bird for my Garden List takeing it to 64 not bad for a garden in West Bromwich here is a list of birds seen in and over my Garden:-
Cormorant
Grey Heron
Mute Swan
Greylag Goose
Canada Goose
Wigeon
Mallard
Tufted Duck
Red-breasted Merganser
Goosander
Sparrowhawk
Buzzard
Osprey
Kestrel
Hobby
Peregrine
Oystercatcher
Lapwing
Curlew
Black-headed Gull
Common Gull
Lesser Black-backed Gull
Herring Gull
Great Black-backed Gull
Common Tern
Woodpigeon
Collared Dove
Tawny Owl
Swift
Great Spotted Woodpecker
Sand Martin.
Swallow
House Martin
Pied Wagtail
Waxwing
Wren
Dunnock
Robin
Blackbird.
Fieldfare
Song Thrush
Redwing
Mistle Thrush
Blackcap
Chiffchaff
Willow Warbler
Goldcrest
Firecrest
Spotted Flycatcher
Long-tailed Tit
Coal Tit.
Blue Tit.
Great Tit.
Magpie
Jackdaw
Rook
Carrion Crow
Raven
Starling
House Sparrow
Chaffinch
Brambling
Greenfinch
Goldfinch
What have you seen in your Garden?
Good Garden Birding YAMYAM

That’s a good idea Laurie I will work on that one watch this space |=)|
The family party of Long Tailed Tits are still visiting the feeders also 2 Buzzards seen over the garden this AM.

That's a great list and this is a good idea for a thread. My garden or least my alley way this summer has seen a nesting pair of Swallows who had 4 chicks which have now fledged. It's great to see them sat on the telephone line over the house and getting fed. The parents can hover and feed them on the line!!

These 2 beauties flew over my garden and into my neighbours garden this morning! They perched on a dividing fence, I managed a couple of pics! It was lovely to see the female with her youngster! I had heard a Green Woodpecker late yesterday afternoon whilst in my garden but could not locate the bird. Presumably they have nested not too far away and maybe I will have regular sightings of them or even just hear them!

A good thread Yamyam!

Attachments

• P1120411 [].JPG
    P1120411 [].JPG
    84.9 KB · Views: 138
  • P1120414 [].JPG
    P1120414 [].JPG
    107.8 KB · Views: 161
Great shots Pam :) I've had a fly past Green Woodpecker from my garden but never in my garden and such good views. Lucky you! :t:

Thanks Matt! It was a great sighting and also one more species for my BTO Weekly Garden Birdwatch Llst!

Yes a good addition ! I really must get round to signing up for that as well. I do keep a weekly garden list but it's always good to put it to some use as well :t:

I Zomerset wish I had Swallows breeding near me, And Pam I am well griped off with the Green Woody records. I have had an other Garden tick, I had a female Bullfinch on the feeders yesterday, apart from the usual suspects garden quiet,

I Zomerset wish I had Swallows breeding near me, And Pam I am well griped off with the Green Woody records. I have had an other Garden tick, I had a female Bullfinch on the feeders yesterday, apart from the usual suspects garden quiet,

Wish I had them breeding by me also, lucky you Zomerset!

Bullfinches are a treat to see anytime but especialy so in your garden, nice one Yamyam!

I did'nt mean it about your allottment YamYam.........Otherwise where will it end? Sitting on the toilet list? How many different sites that i've seen Kingfishers at list?;)

Each to their own - you've only got to read my cr@p on the Withymoor thread to see how off-topic things can get!

Laurie:t:

My gardens

My garden list in Tipton (over 30 years) is only 57 but includes goodies such as Black Redstart, Redstart, Lesser Whitethroat, Garden Warbler, Spotted Flycatcher and Brambling. I've also got a good population of circa 30 House Sparrows.
However in my caravan garden in Saltfleet, Lincs. I've had a flock? of 6 Pied Flycatchers and a Yellow-browed Warbler and if you count the whole of the caravan site then also seen a Little Auk on the fishing pond, Ring Ouzel and singing Marsh Warbler amongst others. There are some caravans for sale there if anyone is interested.
Geoff

Geoff, i think i'll do the extra mileage and join you @ Saltfleet rather than Muddleton;)

Did a load of work over at Saltfleetby NNR in the mid 70's - superb area, IIRC you can pretty much have the place to yourself birdwise?

Laurie:t:

Hi Geoff
Nice list some cracking birds there, How far is it to Saltfleet? What’s the travelling time? And last but not least how much do the caravans go for? I had Avocet fly over Sheepwash this AM.
Good Birding YAMYAM

Hi Geoff
Nice list some cracking birds there, How far is it to Saltfleet? What’s the travelling time? And last but not least how much do the caravans go for? I had Avocet fly over Sheepwash this AM.
Good Birding YAMYAM
Hi Laurie and Yam (I wish I knew who you really are),
It's about 140 miles and takes me two and a half to three hours to get to Saltfleet. Caravans are priced from £4,500 and annual rent is £1,500. The site is open from 1st March til 15th Nov.
You hardly see another birder, so the more the merrier.
Geoff

I was in the garden yesterday evening When a Sprawk took a woodie off the neigbours fence,the Goldfinchs have been back but the Long Tailed Tits have moved on.

Last edited:
Just had a wonder down to the Greenhouse in the Garden to see how my Tomatoes are doing while I was in there a Great Spotted Woodpecker was seen on the bird table this being only the second time I have seen Great Spot in the garden this year, they are mostly seen to fly over or heard drumming.

Just been down the Garden to top up the feeders while sitting on the bench watching the local Robin on the table i heard an Oystercatcher i saw the arse end of the bird heading in the general direction of Sheepwash.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back