• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My Garden (1 Viewer)

Late summer is always quiet in my back garden. I have food in the feeders just in case. I invested in a large, hanging bird table for the Jay's and sure enough I've seen a Jay visit a few times as well as a juvenile Jay a couple times, so it was worth it lol. Had a juvenile Nuthatch hanging upside down on the feeder which was good. Yesterday evening, after the rain, 8.30, a family of Long Tailed Tits. Not had LLTs since early spring. I don't expect to see anymore Swifts overhead now. It was good to see a few go over this year. I've not really looked that much before.

Last edited:
Over the weekend the Long Tailed Tits visited the garden again. They spent some time in one Bush.
Sunday morning we had a female Bullfinch in the garden. It successfully used the feeders, which was a first. Nuthatch & Jays again.

I was waiting for the Nuthatch to use my new Jay, hanging bird table and it did not disappoint. It would go through the bird food to find the seed it wanted & then fly up to the oak tree to store it. It did this several times. Very Entertaining! The GSWP was back and on the sunflower hearts. Great!

Three Mistle Thrush on neighbours roofs.
I put the right food out & a Great Spotted Woodpecker returned.
Blackbird back on the berries.
A Grey Heron went over.
This morning two Tawny Owls calling.

The Great Spotted Woodpecker arrives in the garden around 10.00 each morning. The Jay early or late. A Goldcrest is now visiting with the tits. A Starling flew into use the feeder but struggled and flew off.

In our back garden I've noticed a Song Thrush a couple times now. One morning early on a berry bush, then late afternoon after sunset on another bush.

Coincidentally, I've had a Song Thrush as well in the back garden. Three times in the past few days, a bird I've never had visit before and a bird that I very rarely see or hear around here.

Coincidentally, I've had a Song Thrush as well in the back garden. Three times in the past few days, a bird I've never had visit before and a bird that I very rarely see or hear around here.

Yes I've never had one visit before or heard one in my area. Today I had my first Mistle Thrush on my lawn. They are around & have looked before. One came down for the berries, then another followed it. The first saw off the second & then a Blackbird saw off the first one.
For the second day running a Goldcrest visited.

Had a pleasent surprise whilst putting out food for the birds this morning, heard a faint zwit, looked into the apple tree and amongst a wandering mini flock of Long Tail Tits was a CHIFFCHAFF. Only stayed for about 15 seconds, then off so no chance of close scrutiny. Could it have been a Sib!!!!

Richard

Today was probably the busiest I have ever seen my back garden for birds.
There was a male Bullfinch.
The 2 Mistle Thrush popped in again having been in the front garden earlier. 2 Redwing after the berries. Chaffinch, Nuthatch, GSWP. 4 types of Tits a few times. Robins & Blackbirds.

Last edited:
My back garden was busy again yesterday; the 2 Mistle Thrush popped in for a bathe in the bird bath. They have a few Redwing that follow them around lol. A couple Starlings & a Goldfinch on the feeder. 2 Nuthatch on the feeders & in the oak tree. I note in the Oak tree they chase other similar size birds away. Tits & a Chaffinch pair.

Last edited:
In my back garden; a pair of Long Tailed Tits are very busy nesting in our yew tree.
They make many visits.
I hope it's worth it. I already saw the Squirrel having a look.
Previous unsuccessful nesting birds in the yew tree were Blackbirds who had Magpies attack and a pair of Bullfinch, who were nesting for 4 weeks and then gone. I missed what moved them on. I presume Squirrel or Magpies.
The neighbours had a Buzzard come done a few times to check out their tree before a Crow saw it off.
Later a Heron landed in the same trees and then checked out their pond.

Back garden; the Long Tailed Tits into week 4 of nesting in our yew tree.
They use the feeder and spend time in our Oak tree.
They get chased off the feeder by the Blue Tits who I think are using the nest box on our house.
Saturday we had Blue, Great, Coal tits, LTTs, Mistle Thrush, Goldfinch, Chaffinch, Blackbirds, Great Spotted Woodpecker and a Jay in the Oak tree either feeding or getting nesting material.

In my back garden the Blue Tit will chase the LTT who are still nesting.
Whilst the Robins were feeding, one found a worm and took it to the other.
Due to the frosty morning the Mistle Thrush had to use the pond for a bath.
The next day it was back in the bird bath when it's waiting mate got impatient and cleared it out and then used the bath itself.
The Great Spotted Woodpecker uses the feeder a few times during the day.

Heard a very loud 'mewing' this morning. All the sparrows and starlings scarpered. Looking up for a Buzzard, I found a Jay on a tree-top. This appears to be a common practice according to older posts, although I rarely see Jays from the garden at this time of year. Strange why it should do this if it was just passing over ?

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back