• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My Garden (1 Viewer)

Heard a very loud 'mewing' this morning. All the sparrows and starlings scarpered. Looking up for a Buzzard, I found a Jay on a tree-top. This appears to be a common practice according to older posts, although I rarely see Jays from the garden at this time of year. Strange why it should do this if it was just passing over ?

I've heard jay "mewing "; it might be the jay's version of a song.

Rather than up and out this morning, I sat and looked and listened to the garden. A pair of Great Spotted Woodpecker were in our Oak tree, one was drumming. In the distance I could hear another drumming.
Then the pairs of Robin, Dunnock, Blackbird and the Tits. The Tits enjoying one corner of the garden with the Blue tit chasing the LLT & Coal tits away.
A Buzzard pair have been over a few times this week.

A pair of Bullfinch in the back garden this morning, checking out nesting locations.
They tried the holly, then laurel bush and finally they seemed to like the yew tree but that is already taken by the LTTs.
A couple squirrel then ran along the fence and off they went.

The birds feed up to the back door which is good to see.
There was a female Chaffinch sat on our back door step, it seemed taken with the sunshine.
With the lockdown good to hear the Great Spotted Woodpecker drumming away. There were two drumming one day. There were a pair in the Oak tree.
Also in the distance I can hear Song Thrush singing.
A loud wren calls in the morning. The Blackbird & Robin sing away. The Heron & Buzzard drop in, in the distance.

In our back garden, Blue Tits nesting who see off the nesting LTTs & a Great Tit from the feeder.
A Green Woodpecker visited our Oak tree & I can hear it calling in the distance.
The Great Spotted Woodpecker visits the feeder. It drums on the trees in the distance. I heard the Blackbird alarm call & the GSWP seemed to be the reason.
A pair of Goldfinch visit.
A pigeon is nesting in a neighbours tree.
In the pond, I saw a stickleback, a couple of last years tadpoles amongst this years new tadpoles.

In the back garden, dont think I've ever heard a local Great Spotted Woodpecker drumming before. It was drumming on and off throughout the day. A Chiffchaff has been calling in the distance. Again never heard one before locally but then never listened for one.

Last week a first, a Little Egret flying past my house.
Had a Green Woodpecker out on the neighbours tree.
A pair of Tawny Owls calling.
Blue tits feeding young in the nest.

The back garden Blue tits fledged last Monday during lunch time. Four flew out, three to the oak tree and one went off in the wrong direction to next doors apple tree.
Next door had Great tits fledge and an adult with a juvenile have been on my feeder. A juvenile Robin has visited the feeder as well. The Blackbird sings all day & has learnt to use the ground feeder.
I had a surprise visit from a pair of Bullfinch and a Song Thrush made a surprise, brief visit, maybe it saw the other birds on the feeders.

I thought a back garden juvenile Great Tit had been using the feeder on its own. There was perhaps another adult feeding another juvenile this weekend.
The big surprise was a juvenile Nuthatch late in the evening, feeding on the patio more like a Dunnock or Tit.

In the back garden, there's a Magpie nest in our Oak tree, not sure if they fledged. There's a few extra Magpies about already. The Dunnocks have had a second brood, with chicks fledged end of last week. Now feeding them on the lawn.

This weeks garden juveniles were three young Jays. One had a funky hairdo. One got on the feeders a couple times and then they were off.

The juvenile Jay still visiting daily, last week I saw it five times in a day on the hanging bird table.
Today its visited twice.

In the back garden I noticed the Robin was in the pond after the tadpoles. It caught them but I assume it didn't like them as they were left dead at the side. A juvenile Robin took a bath in the pond.

Last edited:
The back garden Blackbird was taking food, I presume to a nest but it was quiet today.
A juvenile Nuthatch was on the feeders.

In the back garden, it's good observing the male Blackbird.
The pigeons are nesting in the front Oak tree and eating some of the food the Blackbird wants.
So the Blackbird spread it wings to look big and took on the pigeon who moved out the way.
Yesterday the Blackbird was having a sun bath at the edge of the grass with spread wings, laid down.

My last post was the back garden Tawny Owl.
It was calling for a few nights this week.
We got a mouse that runs along the path early evening.
The Dunnocks were fighting, I could see one getting pecked near the eyes. There was another fledgling 2 weeks back.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back