• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My Highland garden (2 Viewers)

Threw the hide up at the bottom of the garden hoping to catch the roost. I arrived 3 hours before high tide, but managed to flush most of the waders even then - these photographers huh?

After 4 hours in the hide an almighty thunder storm arrived and I was a bit worried that the hide may get hit by lightening!

Anyway my patience was rewarded with a most obliging Common Sandpiper, who came past at high tide. He was probably 6 inches away at his closest. Truly remarkable to see so close. Needless to say I had the 500 on, so most of the time I couldn't focus on him.

One of four on the shore yesterday and the Whimbrel was calling again last night.

Attachments

• Common Sandpiper BF2.jpg
    Common Sandpiper BF2.jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 53
  • Common Sandpiper BF.jpg
    Common Sandpiper BF.jpg
    260.6 KB · Views: 62
Threw the hide up at the bottom of the garden hoping to catch the roost. I arrived 3 hours before high tide, but managed to flush most of the waders even then - these photographers huh?

After 4 hours in the hide an almighty thunder storm arrived and I was a bit worried that the hide may get hit by lightening!

Anyway my patience was rewarded with a most obliging Common Sandpiper, who came past at high tide. He was probably 6 inches away at his closest. Truly remarkable to see so close. Needless to say I had the 500 on, so most of the time I couldn't focus on him.

One of four on the shore yesterday and the Whimbrel was calling again last night.

Beautiful shots, so, so jelous!

Delighted to hear that your move has proved so fruitful for you Marcus . It gets a bit obsessive putting more feeders and perches out to get better photos doesn't it ? ( I should Know ! ) . I don't think my wife would let me set up any hides , though I do have good views from our side window . We have a caravan at Coulmore Bay and I've seen Ospreys heading backwards and forwards towards Beauly...do you think yours come from that direction or from the Culbin Forest area ?

Delighted to hear that your move has proved so fruitful for you Marcus . It gets a bit obsessive putting more feeders and perches out to get better photos doesn't it ? ( I should Know ! ) . I don't think my wife would let me set up any hides , though I do have good views from our side window . We have a caravan at Coulmore Bay and I've seen Ospreys heading backwards and forwards towards Beauly...do you think yours come from that direction or from the Culbin Forest area ?

Mine head to the Black Isle.

The hides and sticks are far more acceptable than the mess the Swallows have made in our garage! We've had three broods - in total 15 young Swallows and we have one pair on a second brood. We have also had 17 young Pied Wagtails fledge over two broods!! Anyway the garage and everything in it is, well, covered in crap!

Mine head to the Black Isle.

The hides and sticks are far more acceptable than the mess the Swallows have made in our garage! We've had three broods - in total 15 young Swallows and we have one pair on a second brood. We have also had 17 young Pied Wagtails fledge over two broods!! Anyway the garage and everything in it is, well, covered in crap!

It's quite difficult sometimes where birds are concerned...while you want them to breed successfully when they're on your property you have to contend with the resulting mess . Luckily you don't have any classic cars parked in your garage ( or do you ? )

Hi Marcus , I'll be up your way from Sunday . Do you know if there's much activity around the beaches at Chanonry and Alturlie at the moment ?

Hi Col,

Mainly dolphins at CP. Not seen many birds that way. I imagine Alturlie must be getting some waders too, now.

I would think that Culbin Sands is the best spot locally and Findhorn Bay for any big numbers.

Cheers

You getting any skuas going through yet Marcus?

No - checked a few times today - just young gulls.

Had another 25 Golden Plover today. I tried find them on the deck hoping for Dotterel (well you never know!), but no joy. 8 Dunlin and 11 Knot in the area.

The severe weather has created a nice pool in the field - perfect for a phalarope!

I shall await the report and pictures of said phalarope when it arrives ;-) saying that I had one in flooded fields at Lossiemouth a few years back, so you never know!

Great evening for waders tonight;

11 Knot
Whimbrel
3 Greenshank
Common Sandpiper
Black Tailed Godwit (really chuffed with this beauty!)

Offshore
100+ Red Breasted Merganser
Fist geese of Autumn - 11 Greylags

and another new one...

Male Common Scoter

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back