• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My new Kowa 883 has simply taken my birding enjoyment to another level (1 Viewer)

b-lilja

My Dad bought me one several months ago as a gift - pretty incredible! I have a lot of great optics, and have been a happy user of the Nikon Fieldscope EDs for about 30 years (most recently, the 82, which is wonderful). Top Leica and Zeiss bins too.

Nothing prepared me for just how good this scope is. It is, flat out, incredible. I have always just loved watching birds - more than just id'ing - but I am finding myself watching them for long periods of time through this scope. This includes every day birds - it just feels like I am right up there with them, almost holding them, enjoying their beautiful colors in all their vibrancy. The crispness and resolution is perfect. And the quality of the view is still very good at the higher magnifications. Today, enjoyed just watching some Long Billed Dowitchers and Cinnamon Teal. Just gorgeous colors.

I do think there is something very special about the flourite crystal lens - it just seems that that technology enables a quality jump.

When I bought the scope, I bought two (to check unit variation) and also bought a Swaro ATS 80 to compare to, along with my Nikon. The Swaro is very nice - about on par with the Nikon (except at higher mags, where it is better), but the Kowa is on another level. And yes there is unit variation - one was somewhat but noticeably better than the other.

So - a report after some use. I just love this scope - it is incredible.

My Dad bought me one several months ago as a gift - pretty incredible! I have a lot of great optics, and have been a happy user of the Nikon Fieldscope EDs for about 30 years (most recently, the 82, which is wonderful). Top Leica and Zeiss bins too.

Nothing prepared me for just how good this scope is. It is, flat out, incredible. I have always just loved watching birds - more than just id'ing - but I am finding myself watching them for long periods of time through this scope. This includes every day birds - it just feels like I am right up there with them, almost holding them, enjoying their beautiful colors in all their vibrancy. The crispness and resolution is perfect. And the quality of the view is still very good at the higher magnifications. Today, enjoyed just watching some Long Billed Dowitchers and Cinnamon Teal. Just gorgeous colors.

I do think there is something very special about the flourite crystal lens - it just seems that that technology enables a quality jump.

When I bought the scope, I bought two (to check unit variation) and also bought a Swaro ATS 80 to compare to, along with my Nikon. The Swaro is very nice - about on par with the Nikon (except at higher mags, where it is better), but the Kowa is on another level. And yes there is unit variation - one was somewhat but noticeably better than the other.

So - a report after some use. I just love this scope - it is incredible.
I have an Nikon ED82 Fieldscope along with a Kowa 883. Removing that last bit of noticeable CA makes the Kowa 883 something very special.

I have an Nikon ED82 Fieldscope along with a Kowa 883. Removing that last bit of noticeable CA makes the Kowa 883 something very special.
The Nikon ED82 has two ED elements in its objective make up, just goes to show how effective the Kowa's fluorite crystal lens is and then two ED elements in the 25-60 zoom lens. Still CA free at X96.
Pete.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back