• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My new local patch (1 Viewer)

wolfbirder

Living in Wolverhampton doesn't offer a great deal, being in the middle of the Country, though Belvide Reservoir and Cannock Chase are a 15 minutes drive away.

But I have found a wonderful little local spot over some woods just a few minutes drive away along some back lane which I had never previously been to, outside town and in the middle of very quiet countryside and overlooking quite a large wood. Over the past month I have made it almost my daily routine to pop out for a couple of hours (extended lunchbreak:)). There's no obvious patch of water here so it has been quite productive considering that.

So far I am up to 56 species. The raptors have been superb, I have had Goshawk passing overhead once or twice, up to 12 Buzzards, yesterday I had a Red Kite, a pair of Little Owls, Sparrowhawks, Kestrel, 3-4 Ravens, plus Skylarks, Lapwings, Yellowhammers, Green and Great Spotted Woodpeckers, Red-legged Partridges, and until the last few days good numbers of Fieldfares and Redwings. Also had a weasel and Brown Hares.

I just love getting out there with my flask, watching the birds. Its a lovely little secret spot!

Added Peregrine to the raptor list yesterday.
Your impressive raptor list just emphasises how impoverished things are on my local patch in the rural badlands of NW Durham. Two buzzards and one kestrel all month so far - and a barn owl, but they're presumably tolerated...

Your impressive raptor list just emphasises how impoverished things are on my local patch in the rural badlands of NW Durham. Two buzzards and one kestrel all month so far - and a barn owl, but they're presumably tolerated...
Sad to hear that KB.

Buzzards were non-existent here 20 year ago but I see them over Wolverhampton quite often, and they are everywhere in the countryside all around. See Sparrowhawks regularly too, and Red Kites are becoming more regular as they move in from Wales. I know there are Barn Owls nearby too, and we get occasional Hen Harrier but only passing through.

My little spot is very untouched, and a bit backward, but lovely and isolated.

There is plenty of shooting, I hear it daily, for pheasants and partridges. But as you say, they must tolerate the raptors.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back