• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My short and simple take on the Meopta Meostar 10x42HD (1 Viewer)

Rg548

Retired Somewhere
United Kingdom
First off, I was not looking to buy a 10x mag, or indeed a Meopta.
There is a shooting shop a mile from my house which I have never been to, as I'm not into shooting, but passing it once again the other week, I wondered what they had as far as optics were concerned.
Well the answer is..... Vortex mainly.
I checked Vortex out when Focus Optics were up and running..... quite impressed but i went Zeiss instead.
So sat there all alone in the cabinet was a Meopta Meostar 10x42HD. Discounted.
They offered me a look, so I said I wasn't particularly interested in 10x format, but out of interest .... why not.
Well, one look through, and I was blown away. This may be because my expectations weren't much I guess.
Half an hour later, I put them back, thanked them and went on my way.
An hour later I was back with my current bins for comparison.
A further hour later, I plonked them on the counter, and asked what they would let them go at.
They were on at £899, discounted to £699..... I chanced my arm, and got them for £500.

Ok.....:).... No technicalities or charts here.... I just looked through them for a while !!!

Very solid Binocular. I like the weight/density of these, and is why they are steady enough for a 10x. My previous 10x's, a while ago now, weren't. But for whatever reason I am able to hold these very steady indeed.
For me, 700grams versus 900 grams is neither here nor there. I know it is to some folk, but they feel like a mini tank, and I like that very much. Great feel.
I have CL 8x25 for when I want lightness.
The view to me is quite warm and colourful after my Zeiss, quite a beautiful view, superb resolution and good clarity towards the edge, plenty good enough for me.
The eyecups, and focuser, are as good as anything I have previously tried. Superb quality there. Good Job.
The strap is awesome, really well made, and is detachable, which I like, well padded, and just WORKS !
The bag is individual taste, Im not so keen on the 'woollen' material, however it all fits nicely, and closes well.

Right....Here we go...:mad:
The caps that these come with beggars belief. They must have fallen out of a christmas cracker. Flimsy, tied together with a fine cord, and held in place by the front hinge screw.
NO!... Have it again..... NO!!!! Absolutely NOT on a £1000 bino.
Really poor. Someone need sacking for that!
They WILL NOT stay on, and if it is breezy they swing and flap about, and momentarily obscure the view. Utter CRAP.
I bought some Opticron ones which fit perfectly, and are significantly superior, but the objective lenses on the Meoptas are close to the end of the barrels, so when they push on, the inside recessed part can touch the lenses. I'm going to pad out the inner part of the cover, so it sits 3mm further out. Hopefully sorts it.
I don't like objectives being this close to the ends, but I am very careful with my stuff, so I should be able to manage this!!
The collimation was also out.... Very annoying......but then so were my Zeiss and also my Swaros. Both very slight, I guess 'within tolerance' but NOT spot on as it should be.
I am very susceptible to collimation, so I sent them to Action Optics. They were re-aligned, as they confirmed it was slightly out..... but also they found a few of the screws (not sure which ones) slightly looser than they should have been, so these were tightened accordingly, and waterproofed !!
So this leads me to thinking their quality control isn't good enough. Mine are sorted now, but this shouldn't be required on brand new optics.
Bit disappointing really, but all now taken care of.

But the view is, to my eyes, easily comparible with the Alpha brands. I own, or have owned all three Alphas, and Nikon SE's, but only having two at present. The quality of the optics wants for nothing, very impressive. I will never wish I was holding something else, they are superb. From memory, quite Leica-ish in their view, as I only have Zeiss and Swaro now. But I have always been a Leica fan, and these remind me of them, including the build.
There is no flat field, of which I'm not a fan anyway.
CA is very very low.
Glare is handled very well, much better than my Swaros.
Build (apart from the afore mentioned) appears rock solid, weighty, and they just feel GOOD.
So these are added to the stable. I really like them.
I was not looking to buy, but I was so impressed with these, that I did!!!
I will let my Zeiss go, as they do not get used much, as epic as they are, and this will fund these Meostars and the Habichts I've been wanting for ages
That statement alone should tell you all you need to know about my thoughts on the optical quality of these Meoptas.
The Habichts..... Well.... I just want them..... warts n all !!!;)

Last edited:
Great assessment! I too wish the objectives were slightly more recessed. I have had mine for 6 years now, I like them very much.

First off, I was not looking to buy a 10x mag, or indeed a Meopta.
There is a shooting shop a mile from my house which I have never been to, as I'm not into shooting, but passing it once again the other week, I wondered what they had as far as optics were concerned.
Well the answer is..... Vortex mainly.
I checked Vortex out when Focus Optics were up and running..... quite impressed but i went Zeiss instead.
So sat there all alone in the cabinet was a Meopta Meostar 10x42HD. Discounted.
They offered me a look, so I said I wasn't particularly interested in 10x format, but out of interest .... why not.
Well, one look through, and I was blown away. This may be because my expectations weren't much I guess.
Half an hour later, I put them back, thanked them and went on my way.
An hour later I was back with my current bins for comparison.
A further hour later, I plonked them on the counter, and asked what they would let them go at.
They were on at £899, discounted to £699..... I chanced my arm, and got them for £500.

Ok.....:).... No technicalities or charts here.... I just looked through them for a while !!!

Very solid Binocular. I like the weight/density of these, and is why they are steady enough for a 10x. My previous 10x's, a while ago now, weren't. But for whatever reason I am able to hold these very steady indeed.
For me, 700grams versus 900 grams is neither here nor there. I know it is to some folk, but they feel like a mini tank, and I like that very much. Great feel.
I have CL 8x25 for when I want lightness.
The view to me is quite warm and colourful after my Zeiss, quite a beautiful view, superb resolution and good clarity towards the edge, plenty good enough for me.
The eyecups, and focuser, are as good as anything I have previously tried. Superb quality there. Good Job.
The strap is awesome, really well made, and is detachable, which I like, well padded, and just WORKS !
The bag is individual taste, Im not so keen on the 'woollen' material, however it all fits nicely, and closes well.

Right....Here we go...:mad:
The caps that these come with beggars belief. They must have fallen out of a christmas cracker. Flimsy, tied together with a fine cord, and held in place by the front hinge screw.
NO!... Have it again..... NO!!!! Absolutely NOT on a £1000 bino.
Really poor. Someone need sacking for that!
They WILL NOT stay on, and if it is breezy they swing and flap about, and momentarily obscure the view. Utter CRAP.
I bought some Opticron ones which fit perfectly, and are significantly superior, but the objective lenses on the Meoptas are close to the end of the barrels, so when they push on, the inside recessed part can touch the lenses. I'm going to pad out the inner part of the cover, so it sits 3mm further out. Hopefully sorts it.
I don't like objectives being this close to the ends, but I am very careful with my stuff, so I should be able to manage this!!
The collimation was also out.... Very annoying......but then so were my Zeiss and also my Swaros. Both very slight, I guess 'within tolerance' but NOT spot on as it should be.
I am very susceptible to collimation, so I sent them to Action Optics. They were re-aligned, as they confirmed it was slightly out..... but also they found a few of the screws (not sure which ones) slightly looser than they should have been, so these were tightened accordingly, and waterproofed !!
So this leads me to thinking their quality control isn't good enough. Mine are sorted now, but this shouldn't be required on brand new optics.
Bit disappointing really, but all now taken care of.

But the view is, to my eyes, easily comparible with the Alpha brands. I own, or have owned all three Alphas, and Nikon SE's, but only having two at present. The quality of the optics wants for nothing, very impressive. I will never wish I was holding something else, they are superb. From memory, quite Leica-ish in their view, as I only have Zeiss and Swaro now. But I have always been a Leica fan, and these remind me of them, including the build.
There is no flat field, of which I'm not a fan anyway.
CA is very very low.
Glare is handled very well, much better than my Swaros.
Build (apart from the afore mentioned) appears rock solid, weighty, and they just feel GOOD.
So these are added to the stable. I really like them.
I was not looking to buy, but I was so impressed with these, that I did!!!
I will let my Zeiss go, as they do not get used much, as epic as they are, and this will fund these Meostars and the Habichts I've been wanting for ages
That statement alone should tell you all you need to know about my thoughts on the optical quality of these Meoptas.
The Habichts..... Well.... I just want them..... warts n all !!!;)
I tried the Meopta Meostar HD 10x42 and I thought it was about equal optically to the Zeiss Conquest HD 10x42 and Nikon Monarch HG 10x42, but for my eyes and eye sockets the Zeiss and the Nikon worked a little better. The Zeiss was a little sharper on-axis and the Nikon had a little better contrast. But that is just personal preference. Nothing wrong with wanting a Habicht. Which one do you want? The 8x30, 7x42 or 10x40? This is an excellent online store to get a Habicht from Germany at a good price, and they have almost all of them in stock, and shipping with DHL is 3 days to your door in most cases.

OK.....so here is my take on sorting the Opticron objective caps. The fit was spot on, but the recess of the cap meant that the inside touched the actual lens..... not good. This is due to the very short Meopta barrels.
I cut and glued a cut out ring of dense foam to sit in the recess, and then glued another full disc of foam over that infill ring.
See attached.
It's pulled the inside of the cap 3mm further away from the lenses.
Job done.

20220304_164237.jpg20220304_164248.jpg20220304_164228.jpg

I tried the Meopta Meostar HD 10x42 and I thought it was about equal optically to the Zeiss Conquest HD 10x42 and Nikon Monarch HG 10x42, but for my eyes and eye sockets the Zeiss and the Nikon worked a little better. The Zeiss was a little sharper on-axis and the Nikon had a little better contrast. But that is just personal preference. Nothing wrong with wanting a Habicht. Which one do you want? The 8x30, 7x42 or 10x40? This is an excellent online store to get a Habicht from Germany at a good price, and they have almost all of them in stock, and shipping with DHL is 3 days to your door in most cases.

Hi, thanks for that, I really like the 8x30 Habicht, even with all it's problems. I just like it!
I've looked through all 3, and I don't even mind the narrow 7x42's.
we'll see!!

There are too many absurdities in that Allbinos ranking to enumereate, but one of them is that the Meostar 10x42 HD only gets 1/10th of a point more than the Meopro.
A few years ago a friend bought a 10x42 HD Meostar. I put it on a tripod and could detect no astigmatism, just some field curvature. With a 3x12 Zeiss tripler behind it the central sharpness and cleanliness of the image at 30x was simply outstanding, so Dennis, if you were able to detect a lack of sharpness, "You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!"
The friend was , somewhat late in life, in the process of acquiring a driving license and discovered that he needed glasses, so the poor eye relief of the 10x Meostar was a reason to sell it. The inadequate eye relief is IMO its only significant shortcoming.
Btw, there is a report here on the forum by typo on the Meostar 12x50 HD, which he also considered outstanding.

John

Yeah, that allbinos ranking...... mmm.:unsure:
All I know, is I spent quite some time looking through them, and without wanting/needing another pair, Meopta or otherwise, I was suitably impressed to buy them.

Hi, thanks for that, I really like the 8x30 Habicht, even with all it's problems. I just like it!
I've looked through all 3, and I don't even mind the narrow 7x42's.
we'll see!!
Me too! All three of the Habicht's are superb, really, even the 7x42. The 7x42 is ungodly bright. It is one of the brightest binoculars I have ever looked through because of it's 96% transmission. It is almost like it has a battery inside of it, increasing the brightness of the image.

There are too many absurdities in that Allbinos ranking to enumereate, but one of them is that the Meostar 10x42 HD only gets 1/10th of a point more than the Meopro.
A few years ago a friend bought a 10x42 HD Meostar. I put it on a tripod and could detect no astigmatism, just some field curvature. With a 3x12 Zeiss tripler behind it the central sharpness and cleanliness of the image at 30x was simply outstanding, so Dennis, if you were able to detect a lack of sharpness, "You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!"
The friend was , somewhat late in life, in the process of acquiring a driving license and discovered that he needed glasses, so the poor eye relief of the 10x Meostar was a reason to sell it. The inadequate eye relief is IMO its only significant shortcoming.
Btw, there is a report here on the forum by typo on the Meostar 12x50 HD, which he also considered outstanding.

John
The Zeiss Conquest HD 10x42, Nikon MHG 10x42 and the Meopta Meostar HD 10x42 are all pretty dang close. It comes down to personal preference, which one you like the best.

Well, you got a great bargain there - at just under £400 off list price I am not at all sure I would complain about a slight miscollimation, which not everyone might be able to detect (as the previous owner of your 8x56 FL didn't) nor indeed the quality of the accessories.

Meopta do make a solid binocular, very confidence-inspiring in terms of build quality, and I think the Meostar 10x42 and 8x42 HD are the best of their range - probably because they knew those models would be in direct competition with better-known brands in a very tough sector of the market. At the last Birdfair (2019) I was able to try the 10x42 Conquest HD, Meostar HD and Monarch HG, along with the somewhat "not quite apples" Canon 10x42 IS. While lacking the HG's field of view (I'm not sure why Nikon don't make more of this, as that is one of the strongpoints of the much vaunted SF) the Meostar somehow to my eyes achieved the most alpha-like image of this group, especially in terms of colour rendition, and I thought I could hold it very steadily, too. Eye placement of the 10x42 seemed to need to be quite exact, recalling my 8x32 FL - but this was in comparison with the 10x50 (also very good - I didn't think the Ultravid HD+ was better) and no doubt with time and familiarity it would become easier. Hats off to the Czech boys.

Well, you got a great bargain there - at just under £400 off list price I am not at all sure I would complain about a slight miscollimation, which not everyone might be able to detect (as the previous owner of your 8x56 FL didn't) nor indeed the quality of the accessories.

Meopta do make a solid binocular, very confidence-inspiring in terms of build quality, and I think the Meostar 10x42 and 8x42 HD are the best of their range - probably because they knew those models would be in direct competition with better-known brands in a very tough sector of the market. At the last Birdfair (2019) I was able to try the 10x42 Conquest HD, Meostar HD and Monarch HG, along with the somewhat "not quite apples" Canon 10x42 IS. While lacking the HG's field of view (I'm not sure why Nikon don't make more of this, as that is one of the strongpoints of the much vaunted SF) the Meostar somehow to my eyes achieved the most alpha-like image of this group, especially in terms of colour rendition, and I thought I could hold it very steadily, too. Eye placement of the 10x42 seemed to need to be quite exact, recalling my 8x32 FL - but this was in comparison with the 10x50 (also very good - I didn't think the Ultravid HD+ was better) and no doubt with time and familiarity it would become easier. Hats off to the Czech boys.
Yeah, this coliimation thing is a real bugbear.
My conquests, which I stupidly sold, there was nothing wrong with them at all, were spot on.
All my latest, have been a bit out, and it smacks me in the face. I can't help it.
I've yet to be wrong, they have all been re-done, but I also know it's me being very fussy, because most times mates can't see it.
I don't know why I'm so susceptible to it.

Yeah, this coliimation thing is a real bugbear.
My conquests, which I stupidly sold, there was nothing wrong with them at all, were spot on.
All my latest, have been a bit out, and it smacks me in the face. I can't help it.
I've yet to be wrong, they have all been re-done, but I also know it's me being very fussy, because most times mates can't see it.
I don't know why I'm so susceptible to it.
slight horizontal mis-alignment is not easy to detect but even slight vertical error will strain your eyes very quickly.

The Zeiss Conquest HD 10x42, Nikon MHG 10x42 and the Meopta Meostar HD 10x42 are all pretty dang close. It comes down to personal preference, which one you like the best.
I have never tried the MHG, but for my eyes, the Meoptas are a notch above the conquests. More colour, less CA, equally sharp give or take, but nicer feel and build. Thay are like mini tanks! Conquests are lighter though.
I did a direct comparison just yesterday with my old Conquests, and I still believe this.
I would still be happy with Conquests...... unbelievable value for money and a great bin.
But I'm glad I stumbled on Meopta..... very happy.

I’ve not owned the 10x meopta but i have owned the 8 until recently. I think the MeoStar along with the Toric are as close to alpha as one can get in a roof without spending 2500+

Fantastic glass and unlike the op I really liked the objective covers. Different for sure but they worked well for me

The Meopta Meostar HD 10x42 is a good binocular, but the Czechs are a little behind the Nikon MHG 10x42 and Zeiss Conquest HD 10x42 in coatings because they are not quite as bright with their transmission being considerably lower than either. Meopta's used to even have a yellow tint, but they have improved on that. The Zeiss Conquest HD 10x42 is easily the brightest of the three because it has exceptionally high transmission. If you like a bright binocular, go with the Zeiss.

The Meostar B1 8x32 has exactly the same transmission spectrum as the Leica Ultravid HD-plus 8x32, so Meopta is certainly not behind with its coatings. The yellow preference is already quite sometime over.
Gijs van Ginkel
Interesting, as I mentioned earlier, they reminded me of Leica, but it's been a while since I spent time with Ultravids.
I wouldn't change these for conquests, brighter or not. They're just a little nicer all round for me...... apart from the caps;)

MHG is great glass no doubt…but the MeoStar is better imho. At least in the 8x32/8x42 configurations.

The ergonomics don’t gel with everyone but they worked for me.

The Meostar B1 8x32 has exactly the same transmission spectrum as the Leica Ultravid HD-plus 8x32, so Meopta is certainly not behind with its coatings. The yellow preference is already quite sometime over.
Gijs van Ginkel
That might be true on the 8x32, but I thought we were discussing 10x42's. The Zeiss Conquest HD 10x42 has 93% transmission and the Meopta Meostar HD 10x42 has 84% transmission. That is almost a 10% difference and will certainly be noticeable in the brightness of the binocular. I know when I compared the Zeiss Conquest HD 10x42 to the Meopta Meostar HD 10x42 under different lighting conditions, there was an obvious difference in brightness.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back