• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia

My Swifts have gone (1 Viewer)

Sandra (Taylor)

As expected, this is the week when numbers usually drop, drastically and I haven't now seen or heard one for three days.

They're here for such a short time, I anticipate their arrival every year but they're gone too soon and I can't help thinking that summer is over when they've gone :confused:
I agree with your comments Andy. I so look forward to them arriving - fewer and fewer each year, though - then they're gone. Not seen any of the half dozen or so for a few days but they may suddenly put in a last appearance before leaving for good.

delia todd

If I said the wrong thing it was a Senior Moment
Staff member
Opus Editor
Supporter
Scotland
I'd not heard any all last week, but when I went out this morning I heard some screaming overhead. Couldn't see them though.

aeshna5

Less here, but still some present. Yesterday watched a Hobby from my front garden going into a stoop (I think towards some Starlings I'd seen feeding around the corner) & then 5 Swifts following behind it. In total saw at least a dozen wheeling around.

This morning still several screaming around.

Agree with Andy, that there's something sad when they go, the end of summer looming!

Andy Adcock

England
Definitely none of my local birds left, went out for two hours with my toddler this afternoon and in overcast conditions, not a single Swift was seen or heard.

Xenospiza

Distracted
Supporter
I selfishly went on holiday in the "last local swifts" week, but on 24 July I had a few huge flocks over my local patch (an estimated 1750 in just 1 hour) – probably pressed north from the Ruhr Area by bad weather. I think this was the big take-off locally, although some were still around my home.

I saw one in Oberammergau (Bavaria) this morning. (If you ever need a life size wood-cut nativity scene, this is the town for you).

aeshna5

I haven't seen one for a couple of days, but had 20 screaming over my garden mid-week. Over a hundred this morning reported at Brent Res not too far away.

Andrew Whitehouse

Professor of Listening
Staff member
Supporter
Scotland
Still large numbers in Aberdeen e.g. 40+ over my neighbourhood regularly this week. As they were late arriving, I expect they will still be around for a week or two longer.

Andy Adcock

England
I haven't seen one for a couple of days, but had 20 screaming over my garden mid-week. Over a hundred this morning reported at Brent Res not too far away.
Obvious feeding stops as they flock up to move, inland birds have almost completely gone, certainly here.

Stonefaction

Stuck in Dundee.....
Scotland
8th of August is usually more or less my last day for having the local (diminishing year on year) flock around here in Dundee. Heard them earlier but once they're gone summer is over for me, and I miss the screaming.

Andy Adcock

England
8th of August is usually more or less my last day for having the local (diminishing year on year) flock around here in Dundee. Heard them earlier but once they're gone summer is over for me, and I miss the screaming.
I feel exactly the same as I sit, looking at the rain and grey skies outside my window.

Stonefaction

Stuck in Dundee.....
Scotland
Been a bit showery here today too, and I haven't heard a Swift since those I heard from my bed about 1000. Hopefully, there will be some Autumnal movements (Meadow & Tree Pipits mostly) to listen out for, to provide some aural interest in their place, at least in the mornings.

Monahawk

Saw one this afternoon over Monaghan town centre. They seem to have left earlier this year especially since the warm dry weather of July has given way to a very wet August. Here locally, their numbers appeared lower than last year. The old workhouse in Carrickmacross is a great spot for them, but numbers there were a lot lower than is usual. Not good.

Si

David_

Germany
Saw a few smaller groups still in the area. The group breeding in my neighborhood in Düsseldorf left on Thursday. I already miss hearing their calls each morning and evening while they were flying in circles over my balcony.

ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Colombia
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Colombia

Users who are viewing this thread