• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia

My Swifts have gone (1 Viewer)

Jonno52

John (a bad birdwatcher)
Supporter
United Kingdom
Here in south London I didn't see any yesterday, but today have had three so far. I'm sure I'd see more if I spent longer looking.

dandsblair

David and Sarah
Supporter
Here in Lytham St Annes - at least 5 today including 3 that have spent the afternoon coming and going between the golf course and our garden

Monahawk

Saw 2 swifts flying around low where I was working this morning in Monaghan. They were close enough to note they had pale heads, so they were young birds.

Si.

muck22

Europe
with us the swifts (apus apus) are no longer to be seen already about 3 weeks ago... the autumn comes.... and that already at the beginning of August! 😢

Patudo

Small numbers of swifts working over Hyde Park the three or four times my brother and myself visited, including today (Saturday). The late morning/midday of the 10th there were larger numbers (70-100 max - pretty unusual).

delia todd

If I said the wrong thing it was a Senior Moment
Staff member
Opus Editor
Supporter
Scotland
I'm still hearing them in the evenings here, though did hear some on Thursday morning.

Himalaya

As expected, this is the week when numbers usually drop, drastically and I haven't now seen or heard one for three days.

They're here for such a short time, I anticipate their arrival every year but they're gone too soon and I can't help thinking that summer is over when they've gone :confused:

I totally understand how you feel. When numbers start decreasing from late July locally I feel summer is over and the countdown has started to much shorter days.

ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia

Users who are viewing this thread