• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My Swifts have gone (1 Viewer)

Here in south London I didn't see any yesterday, but today have had three so far. I'm sure I'd see more if I spent longer looking.

Here in Lytham St Annes - at least 5 today including 3 that have spent the afternoon coming and going between the golf course and our garden

Saw 2 swifts flying around low where I was working this morning in Monaghan. They were close enough to note they had pale heads, so they were young birds.

Si.

with us the swifts (apus apus) are no longer to be seen already about 3 weeks ago... the autumn comes.... and that already at the beginning of August! 😢

Small numbers of swifts working over Hyde Park the three or four times my brother and myself visited, including today (Saturday). The late morning/midday of the 10th there were larger numbers (70-100 max - pretty unusual).

I'm still hearing them in the evenings here, though did hear some on Thursday morning.

As expected, this is the week when numbers usually drop, drastically and I haven't now seen or heard one for three days.

They're here for such a short time, I anticipate their arrival every year but they're gone too soon and I can't help thinking that summer is over when they've gone :confused:

I totally understand how you feel. When numbers start decreasing from late July locally I feel summer is over and the countdown has started to much shorter days.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back