• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My taxonomic predictions (1 Viewer)

"Chloroceryle" amazona
Macroceryle (even if I think that is useless because the genus is relatively homogeneous despite the size difference in each species)

I have never found the work that included OD of Chloroceryle, and would be extremely interested if anyone has or know of a copy. But in my current notes, I'm afraid that amazona is the type species of the genus.

name : Chloroceryle Kaup 1848​
OD : Kaup JJ. 1848. Die Familie der Eisvögel (Alcedidae). Verh. Naturhist. Ver. Großherzogthum Hessen u. Umgebung, 2: 61-81.; p. 68; [OD not seen].​
originally included nominal species : Alcedo superciliosa, A. americana, A. inda, A. amazona, A. bicolor​
type : Alcedo amazona Latham 1790 (in use)​
by : subsequent designation​
in : Gray GR. 1855. Catalogue of the genera and subgenera of birds contained in the British Museum. British Museum, London.; p. 16; Catalogue of the genera and subgenera of birds contained in the British Museum - Biodiversity Heritage Library
OD of type species : Latham J. 1790. Index ornithologicus, sive, Systema ornithologiae : complectens avium divisionem in classes, ordines, genera, species, ipsarumque varietates : adjectis synonymis, locis, descriptionibus, &c. Volumen I. Published by the author, London.; p. 257; v.1 (1790) - Index ornithologicus, sive, Systema ornithologiae - Biodiversity Heritage Library
notes : OD not seen. Data from secondary sources (i.a. Richmond: http://www.zoonomen.net/cit/RI/Genera/C/c00975a.jpg ). Gray attributed the genus to Reichenbach 1851; Reichenbach 1851 Abt.3:Bd.6 [Text] (1836) - Die vollständigste Naturgeschichte der Vögel - Biodiversity Heritage Library attributed it to Kaup. Gray's designation is unquestionably valid under the present Code, but was discarded on account of the misattribution of the name by Peters 1945 (PCL, 5: 168; v.5 (1945) - Check-list of birds of the world - Biodiversity Heritage Library ), who accepted as type Alcedo superciliosa Linnaeus 1766 by designation of Sharpe RB. 1868-1871. A monograph of the Alcedinidae: or, family of kingfishers. Published by the author, London.; p. viii; A monograph of the Alcedinidae - Biodiversity Heritage Library ; the same type fixation was accepted in H&M4 (1): 340; this is not correct (see ICZN 67.7).​
ICZN : n/a​
online publication : n/a​
available: yes​
family: Alcedinidae​

Last edited:
I have never found the work that included OD of Chloroceryle, and would be extremely interested if anyone has or know of a copy. But in my current notes, I'm afraid that amazona is the type species of the genus.
In that case, Chloroceryle for amazona and Amazonis (Reichenbach, 1851) for the others?

Similar problem with Megaceryle, BTW:

name : Megaceryle Kaup 1848​
OD : Kaup JJ. 1848. Die Familie der Eisvögel (Alcedidae). Verh. Naturhist. Ver. Großherzogthum Hessen u. Umgebung, 2: 61-81.; p. 68; [OD not seen].​
originally included nominal species : Alcedo guttata, A. alcyon, A. torquata, A. maxima​
type species : Alcedo maxima Pallas 1769 (in use)​
by : subsequent designation​
in : Gray GR. 1855. Catalogue of the genera and subgenera of birds contained in the British Museum. British Museum, London.; p. 16; Catalogue of the genera and subgenera of birds contained in the British Museum - Biodiversity Heritage Library
OD of type species : Pallas PS. 1769. Spicilegia zoologica, quibus novae imprimis et obscurae animalium species iconibus, descriptionibus et commentariis illustrantur. Fasciculus sextus. GA Lange, Berlin.; p. 14; t.1:fasc.1-10 (1767-1774) - Spicilegia zoologica - Biodiversity Heritage Library
notes : OD not seen. Data from secondary sources (i.a. Richmond: http://www.zoonomen.net/cit/RI/Genera/M/m00259a.jpg ). Gray attributed the genus to Reichenbach 1851; Reichenbach 1851 Abt.3:Bd.6 [Text] (1836) - Die vollständigste Naturgeschichte der Vögel - Biodiversity Heritage Library attributed it to Kaup. Gray’s designation is unquestionably valid under the present Code, but was ignored (without comments, possibly due to the misattribution of the name) by Peters 1945 (PCL, 5: 165; v.5 (1945) - Check-list of birds of the world - Biodiversity Heritage Library ), who accepted as type Alcedo guttata Vigors 1831 by designation of Sharpe RB. 1868-1871. A monograph of the Alcedinidae: or, family of kingfishers. Published by the author, London.; p. viii; A monograph of the Alcedinidae - Biodiversity Heritage Library ; the same type fixation was accepted in H&M4 (1): 340; this is not correct (see ICZN 67.7).​
ICZN : n/a​
online publication : n/a​
available : yes​
family : Alcedinidae​

Last edited:
Laurent, in my definitions in The Key for both Chloroceryle and Megaceryle I have, "Die Ceryle zerfallen in die Subgenera Chloroceryle, wohin superciliosa, americana, inda (nicht gesehen), amazona und bicolor gehören; ferner in wahre Ceryle, wohin rudis zu zählen ist; 3) in das Subgenus Megaceryle mit den Arten guttata, alcyon, torquata und maxima. In dem Subgenus Ceryle tritt der längste und spitzeste Flügel auf, nimmt desshalb den zweiten Rang wie das Genus ein." (Kaup 1848), which I assume is from the OD (and was doubtless provided by a member of this forum in the dim and distant past).;

Thanks James. If it was provided by a member of this forum, it was definitely not me.
What I can say is that you were still asking for it in Feb 2018, but that this definition was indeed in the HBW Key when it went offline in 2020. And that it was never posted on the forum itself.

And what of Amazonis (Reichenbach, 1851) - any thoughts? Is inda really the type species?

Amazonis Reichenbach 1851
Reichenbach HGL. 1851. Handbuch der speciellen Ornithologie. Alcedineae. The King-fishers.--Les Martin-pêcheurs.--Die Eisvögel. Dresden & Leipzig.; pp. iv, 28; Abt.3:Bd.6 [Text] (1836) - Die vollständigste Naturgeschichte der Vögel - Biodiversity Heritage Library , Abt.3:Bd.6 [Text] (1836) - Die vollständigste Naturgeschichte der Vögel - Biodiversity Heritage Library

The species included were Amazonis superciliosa and A. bicolor, with inda, maculata and viridirufa cited as synonyms of the latter -- i.e., the following nominal species:
  • Alcedo superciliosa Linnaeus 1766
  • Alcedo bicolor Gmelin 1788
  • Alcedo inda Linnaeus 1766
  • Alcedo maculata Gmelin 1788
  • Alcedo viridirufa Boddaert 1783

No type was fixed in the OD. Candidate subsequent type designations :
The first one :
239a. (2231.) ----- ? Amazonis, Reichenb. 1854 (nec Amazona, Less. 1831). (Alcedo bicolor, Gm.)
...is arguably borderline, because it is actually the designation of the type of an unnamed taxonomic subgenus, with Amazonis, regarded as preoccupied by Amazona Lesson (Psittacidae), merely cited as a synonym. But on the other hand, (1) there is no other nominal genus than Amazonis to which the type designation might apply, and (2) it may be noted that, if Gray had simultaneously proposed a nomen novum to replace Amazonis rather than leaving the taxon unnamed, the designation of a type for the subgenus denoted by this nomen novum would clearly have fixed the type of the original name as well (see ICZN 67.8). Historically, so far as I'm aware, this type of designation has generally been accepted, so I would tend to accept it too.

If you don't accept Gray's designation, you must accept Sharpe's.

Last edited:
Amazonis Reichenbach 1851
Reichenbach HGL. 1851. Handbuch der speciellen Ornithologie. Alcedineae. The King-fishers.--Les Martin-pêcheurs.--Die Eisvögel. Dresden & Leipzig.; pp. iv, 28; Abt.3:Bd.6 [Text] (1836) - Die vollständigste Naturgeschichte der Vögel - Biodiversity Heritage Library , Abt.3:Bd.6 [Text] (1836) - Die vollständigste Naturgeschichte der Vögel - Biodiversity Heritage Library

The species included were Amazonis superciliosa and A. bicolor, with inda, maculata and viridirufa cited as synonyms of the latter -- i.e., the following nominal species:
  • Alcedo superciliosa Linnaeus 1766
  • Alcedo bicolor Gmelin 1788
  • Alcedo inda Linnaeus 1766
  • Alcedo maculata Gmelin 1788
  • Alcedo viridirufa Boddaert 1783

No type was fixed in the OD. Candidate subsequent type designations :
The first one :

...is arguably borderline, because it is actually the designation of the type of an unnamed taxonomic subgenus, with Amazonis, regarded as preoccupied by Amazona Lesson (Psittacidae), merely cited as a synonym. But on the other hand, (1) there is no other nominal genus than Amazonis to which the type designation might apply, and (2) it may be noted that, if Gray had simultaneously proposed a nomen novum to replace Amazonis rather than leaving the taxon unnamed, the designation of a type for the subgenus denoted by this nomen novum would clearly have fixed the type of the original name as well (see ICZN 67.8). Historically, so far as I'm aware, this type of designation has generally been accepted, so I would tend to accept it too.

If you don't accept Gray's designation, you must accept Sharpe's.

Thanks very much Laurent, so informative.

I do, presuming you are meaning Birds of the World
Yep. I wanted to take advantage of the subscription gift. Unfortunately, I couldn't extend the subscription because it's in dollars. I have an account but I couldn't renew it. Before, it was a friend who gave me the subscription. You see what I'm meant ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back