• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Myiarchus Flycatchers - Costa Rica (1 Viewer)

kahraba

Quentin
France
I believe all these were taken in Parque Nacional Santa Rosa, northwestern Costa Rica, late february 2016.
Are they all Nutting's Flycatchers ?
2221_Myiarchus_.JPG2158_Myiarchus_.JPG2092_Myiarchus_.JPG2079_Myiarchus.JPG

Seem to be not quite the same to me, however i could be wrong.
Maybe because they all have different amounts off pink in the bill, where nutting's almost has none.

I guess they probably all are Nutting's but not sure how you can be certain without voice. Ebird suggests ash-throated doesn't occur there so the question is whether any of these are brown-crested

In all photos the wings don't show massive contrast between the rufous and white edging which is consistent with Nutting's but overlaps with other species AFAIK. We can also see rounded head and no clear distinction of cap from cheek in some photos which is again in favour of Nutting's

Thank you all for the replies, I will keep them as Nutting's, then. Ash-throated is not in my field guide, so I simply did not consider it. I saw others with a warmer brown crest and an all-black bill in the same region, which were certainly Brown-crested, a few rather distinct-looking Dusky-capped too.
If I ever visit Costa Rica again, I will use my ears more !

I guess they probably all are Nutting's but not sure how you can be certain without voice. Ebird suggests ash-throated doesn't occur there so the question is whether any of these are brown-crested

In all photos the wings don't show massive contrast between the rufous and white edging which is consistent with Nutting's but overlaps with other species AFAIK. We can also see rounded head and no clear distinction of cap from cheek in some photos which is again in favour of Nutting's
I think that the buffy, rather than white wing bars, should rule out Brown-crested?

Sorry Kahraba, hope you don't mind but I think we've established that your ID's are probably OK so I'm going to add one of my own for comments.

I won't say what I think it is so as not to influence the outcome, the only clue I will give is that it was in coastal, mangroves in the South.

Attachments

• costa rica.jpg
    costa rica.jpg
    202.7 KB · Views: 11
Be careful Andy!...the mods might feel obliged to move this to the quiz section if people complain.😮

Plain gray head, virtually no rufous on wings or tail, correct habitat and range... I think I can guess and I share your ID, Andy.

I think that the buffy, rather than white wing bars, should rule out Brown-crested?
Don't think it does. There's overlap AFAIK

So ID of Nutting's remains balance of probability rather than proven for me (brown-crested does appear at this site according to ebird).

Sorry Kahraba, hope you don't mind but I think we've established that your ID's are probably OK so I'm going to add one of my own for comments.

I won't say what I think it is so as not to influence the outcome, the only clue I will give is that it was in coastal, mangroves in the South.
Yes Panama flycatcher

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back