• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mysterious Bird (1 Viewer)

GarnetDragon

Hello, I hope I am okay posting this here if not I do apologise.

I belong to another forum regarding mysteries, paranormal and so on. On this forum, someone posted about a bird they once saw which they have only seen the once and was asking if anyone knew what the bird was. A lot of suggestions were made and I will be honest I have spent many hours trying to find a bird that matches the description given. I think I have become a little obsessed with identifying the bird. I have seen some beautiful birds in my searches but nothing that matches the description and now I think I am more desperate for the answer than the original poster the description is as follows; the bird is said to be sparrow-like in body shape it had brown wings and tail and a yellow body with a pink stripe on its neck described as blurry. The bird was seen in Poland if that helps. Thank you for any help you can provide.

Thank you this was suggested to the OP however apparently it was not the bird also suggested was Rose-breasted Grosbeak, Tropical Kingbird, Red-throated bee-eater, Yellow-browed Sparrow, Common redpoll, House finch, European Robin, Yellow warbler, Summer Tanager, Female Baltimore Oriole and Big bird from sesame street none of which were the bird in question. Sorry, should have probably posted the list in my first post.

Welcome to birdforum GarnetDragon. Birdwatchers are frequently asked to identify birds from descriptions given to them by people who aren't used to looking at birds. You'd be surprised how completely different the bird invariably looks in real life compared to the description! It's fun trying to work them out sometimes, or at least make an educated guess, but often it really is just a guess. We see, for example, people swear blind that the bird can't be bird X, because it was three times too big and had a blue back. They eventually get a picture of it, and it IS bird X, and has a grey back etc etc etc...

Basically, don't read too much into descriptions from non-birders. It will almost invariably be something common described badly. Hope that helps.

Welcome to birdforum GarnetDragon. Birdwatchers are frequently asked to identify birds from descriptions given to them by people who aren't used to looking at birds. You'd be surprised how completely different the bird invariably looks in real life compared to the description! It's fun trying to work them out sometimes, or at least make an educated guess, but often it really is just a guess. We see, for example, people swear blind that the bird can't be bird X, because it was three times too big and had a blue back. They eventually get a picture of it, and it IS bird X, and has a grey back etc etc etc...

Basically, don't read too much into descriptions from non-birders. It will almost invariably be something common described badly. Hope that helps.
Thank you this is exactly what has been pointed out to the OP however they are adamant that every bird suggested absolutely is not the one they saw. It has also been pointed out that as they saw the bird a few years back it's possible their memory is a little off but apparently again this cannot be the case. I should imagine it is likely to be one already suggested. I just thought that going to the experts was a better idea than the forum they posted on although they did say they had tried forums like this also.

It has also been pointed out that as they saw the bird a few years back it's possible their memory is a little off but apparently again this cannot be the case.

It's not until after you get a lot of experience of critically assessing what your eyes are actually seeing on a bird, that you learn that the image you have stored in your mind seconds afterwards (let alone years!) is invariably inaccurate.

It's not until after you get a lot of experience of critically assessing what your eyes are actually seeing on a bird, that you learn that the image you have stored in your mind seconds afterwards (let alone years!) is invariably inaccurate.
Indeed, on a positive note at least I got to see some birds I had never seen of before.

Assume the OP has rejected Yellow Wagtail? There are pics on google images where there is a blurred colouration on the throat. Description sounds similar also.

Assume the OP has rejected Yellow Wagtail? There are pics on google images where there is a blurred colouration on the throat. Description sounds similar also.

From the other thread linked above:
In addition, it made a kind of rattling sound and moved in little jumps instead of walking, if I remember correctly.
I guess that rules out wagtails.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back