• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Mystery bird identification Thailand (1 Viewer)

trevor432990

Thailand
Hello friends. Revisiting my birdwatching hobby now that I am retired and was wondering if someone can help identify these birds which were picking berries off the tree opposite my house the other day?

Mystery 7.jpg Mystery 3.jpg Mystery 8.jpg

Can you also explain how he can change the colour of his eyes from grey to brown in 2 seconds?

trevor432990

Thailand
Solved with the help of JP's recently uploaded media picture I believe this bird is called the 'Chestnut-Tailed Starling'

drjpmenon

Jp
Supporter
India
Well..I have a feeling that what you have posted is a Malabar Starling (Sturnia blythii). This is very similar to the Chestnut- tailed , but has a white head...

trevor432990

Thailand
Well..I have a feeling that what you have posted is a Malabar Starling (Sturnia blythii). This is very similar to the Chestnut- tailed , but has a white head...
Hmmm ... Maybe but looking at photos of the Malabar they seem to have browner breast feathers than my bird unless the female is paler?

drjpmenon

Jp
Supporter
India
I have not SEEN a Malabar Starling though I was born and brought up in that province!
I happened to see the reference to this subspecies while reading up on S.malabarica!

delia todd

If I said the wrong thing it was a Senior Moment
Staff member
Opus Editor
Supporter
Scotland
Hi Trevor and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

I'm going to move your thread to the ID forum where it should attract a wider audience of people that could help you with your query. I can't find any pictures in the Gallery for the Malabar Starling so it would be great to have this confirmed.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

THE_FERN

I have not SEEN a Malabar Starling though I was born and brought up in that province!
I happened to see the reference to this subspecies while reading up on S.malabarica!
Ebird shows this is a species from the west of India. So unlikely in Thailand unless there's some introduced population they're not reporting.

Users who are viewing this thread