• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

mystery bird (1 Viewer)

jlalford

I live in the panhandle of Florida and have heard a bird in our creek late in the evening- during two different springs, and one fall. I have lived in this location for over 30 years and have only heard it these three times. The bird only sings for a couple of weeks, then its gone. It makes a sort of lonely, far-off sounding repeated pattern. It sounds like: deeee- di-di-di-di-di-di-di-di, then it trails off and fades away.The initial "dee" is slightly lower, then its all the same pitch until it fades away and is slightly lower again.Then it repeats. I havent been able to record it, and I get the impression that its a shore bird or wading bird, and not any kind of perching bird- but I could be wrong. What are my chances of figuring this out? Thanks

Hi jlalford and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum :t:

Not sure what you have but I suspect you are on the right track with your thoughts on it.

I'm going to move your thread to the Bird I D section and hopefully, one of our resident geniuses will have some suggestions for you ;) I've subscribed you to this thread so you don't lose track of it.

The pattern you notated reminds me of the song pattern of the Hermit Thrush, but that's certainly not a shore or water bird. They do winter in/migrate through your area spring and fall, though. You might want to go to xeno-canto.org and listen to that song and others to see if you can find a match.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back