• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mystery BOP (1 Viewer)

KenM

Walking across Chingford Plain, Grtr.London, Essex, at 9.38 am today, I espied this falcon rising languidly into the air...clearly a big, long-winged bird with brown upperparts/dark hands and darkish underparts, leisurely heading West over the forest/plain edge before disappearing out of sight. Fortunately (or unfortunately) I was able to get these two shots off. What does the forum think?

cheers

Attachments

• Ching Plain falcon 1.jpg
    Ching Plain falcon 1.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 191
  • Ching Plain falcon 2..jpg
    Ching Plain falcon 2..jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 251
Without any detail in the photos. If there was no description, and going on the second pic only I would have gone for peregrine.

Twite.

looks very long-tailed for a Peregrine, especially in first pic, looks closer to Lanner but that's just a feeling, not an ID, anyway Large Falcons nowadays can be anything including all kind of hybrids

In my opinion...with many years of watching Peregrines particularly now in London, I'm certainly au fait with their variable structure. Apart from having rich brown upperparts with a contrasting dark hand, the bird seemed longer bodied and winged, than any Peregrine that I have ever seen. Indeed my first reaction was what the ''hell'' is this? Although never having seen Saker before..would anybody who has seen Saker particularly well..like to comment?

really hard to tell but might be a hybrid. pure saker usually looks even broader winged but as said hard to tell from these pics.

I agree it doesn"t look pure peregrine. It can be a escaped Lanner (size of moustache and description matches), or indeed Saker x Peregrine... or even a Prairie Falcon!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back