• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia

Mystery Gull (1 Viewer)

Dave B Smith

I saw this gull several weeks ago on the beach just south of St Augustine, Fl.
It appears to be a Ring-billed Gull, but not quite right. I thought maybe a hybrid but the only east coast record of a hybrid RB Gull was with a Laughing Gull but I don't see any Laughing Gull traits on this bird. I don't believe it is oil or other pollutant because while the legs are black and most of the bill is dark, the yellow tip of the bill and the lack of any signs of dark areas on the feathers make this unlikely. Besides its dark legs and bill, the eyes are also dull for an adult RB Gull. So is this just an aberrant individual?

Attachments

• Mystery Gull-2696.jpg
    Mystery Gull-2696.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 74

KenM

An interesting gull Dave!

To my eye it looks like a possible
3rd year (sub-adult RBGull...with grey legs) hopefully someone else will contribute, a great shot btw.

ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia

Users who are viewing this thread