• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia

Mystery of disappearing eggs and dead chicks (1 Viewer)

DonHarv

United Kingdom
Could someone suggest a solution to the following:
1 After the coaltits had fledged from our bird box (which has a camera installed) I look in intending to remove two eggs that had not hatched. They were gone. Were they eaten?
2 the second brood is now in the box and one chick that had obviously hatched very late had disappeared. In an earlier year two bluetits also disappeared. What happens to them?

YuShan

hikingbirdman.com
United Kingdom
I don't know about the eggs that disappeared. I have see blue tits eating egg shells but not complete eggs. I have had unhatched eggs in the past but they just remained in the nest.

Chicks disappear all the time. They die and get removed by the mother. Here I have an old video of my nestbox showing two dead chicks being removed by the mother:

Last edited:

Kits

Picture Picker
Welcome to Birdforum. I hope you enjoy your visits.

Sorry I can't help with the removed eggs, but I believe the parents remove dead chicks.

delia todd

If I said the wrong thing it was a Senior Moment
Staff member
Opus Editor
Supporter
Scotland
Hi DonHarv and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia

Users who are viewing this thread