• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mystery seabird - California, USA. (1 Viewer)

jmorlan

Hmmm. That's funny
Opus Editor
United States
On 02 January 2021 I was photographing Brandt's Cormorants from Pigeon Point, San Mateo County, California USA for a Christmas Bird Survey. I need help identifying the bird on the right. The Brandt's Cormorant on the left is for size comparison. There are no other useful images. Any insights would be appreciated.

Attachments

• UnknownIMG_3987.jpg
    UnknownIMG_3987.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 186
Pigeon Guillemot, at this time of year in that area, would actually be quite unusual and, if present, should show much more white. Common Murre is my best guess, though that should also show more white (though not as much as Pigeon Guillemot). It actually looks more like a Thick-billed Murre, though I would not make that call, of a bird very rare locally, from this picture. Hopefully someone will see more here than do I.

Not an expert by any stretch, but from what I can see on line, Thick-billed Murre would have more white at the water line near the front of the bird. I know it's far less likely, but the amount of white seems a better fit with Long-billed Murrelet.

Just putting it out there.

Not an expert by any stretch, but from what I can see on line, Thick-billed Murre would have more white at the water line near the front of the bird. I know it's far less likely, but the amount of white seems a better fit with Long-billed Murrelet.

Just putting it out there.
That would be far smaller in comparison to the Brandt's Cormorant (y)

My first thought was Common Murre, like Nutcracker. Perhaps its wing is out a bit, covering what would normally be a bit more white? Otherwise, what I can see of the face and bill looks right for the species.

Common Murre was my first thought, but it requires an explanation as to why it is not showing white flanks. I think the wing is simply blocking a view of the white flanks. In addition to Pigeon Guillemot being smaller and showing more white, the bill is far too large. Not really sure what else it could be.

Common Murre was my first thought, but it requires an explanation as to why it is not showing white flanks. I think the wing is simply blocking a view of the white flanks. In addition to Pigeon Guillemot being smaller and showing more white, the bill is far too large. Not really sure what else it could be.
Common Murre for me too. Auks frequently have wings hanging to the sides (overhanging the flank feathers and thus not covered by them) between frequent dives, so that can easily explain the absence of the white flanks on the photo.

Thanks all. Sorry for the delay. The only similar species in the area that day was Common Murre and that's most likely what it was. Thick-billed Murre probably cannot be excluded, but would be a mega-rarity at this location. Thanks again.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back