• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Name a Bird You've Seen 2 (4 Viewers)

Also from a former Portuguese island colony:

8764 Iago/ Cape Verde Sparrow

Attachments

• Cape Verde Sparrow (1).jpg
    Cape Verde Sparrow (1).jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 6
Often nest in Woodpecker nest holes

8767 Lilian's Lovebird

Named after the ornithologist's daughter, Lilian Sclater. So let's have one given a scientific name after the ornithologist's wife; Cyanomitra alinae, named after Lady Aline Jackson, wife of ornithologist and Governor of Uganda, Sir Frederick Jackson.

8768 Blue-headed Sunbird

We didn't see this bird with a Cardinal but with a guide from the local Church in Guyana

8771 Painted Parakeet

Attachments

• painted parakeets.JPG
    painted parakeets.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 3
Last edited:
We didn't see this bird with a Cardinal but with a guide from the local Church in Guyana

8771 Painted Parakeet
Pyrrhura picta. Pyrrhura means "flame-coloured." I don't have a photo of the next bird, which I saw several of on Volcan Acatenango in Guatemala. But I do have photos of the flames that we saw later that day, from the same location, but on the adjacent volcano, Fuego, so I'll include a couple of photos of them instead.

8772 Black-capped Siskin

Attachments

• 07-Volcan Fuego-46.jpg
    07-Volcan Fuego-46.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 4
  • 08-Volcan Fuego-49.jpg
    08-Volcan Fuego-49.jpg
    757.3 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Apols if already gone (I haven't looked in for a while) but anyone done the latest accepted IOC splits yet? If not then:-

8774. Bornean Black-capped Babbler

(Or Malayan if the original post for Black-capped Babbler was from Borneo 😁)

Apols if already gone (I haven't looked in for a while) but anyone done the latest accepted IOC splits yet? If not then:-

8774. Bornean Black-capped Babbler

(Or Malayan if the original post for Black-capped Babbler was from Borneo 😁)
If there have been some splits since the thread started then I think Jacana needs to decide if he's going to allow them, and if so, update the list in the first post accordingly.

I think this subject came up before and the ruling was no ongoing splits. It's hard enough to keep track of two different taxonomies, nevermind including new splits.

I think this subject came up before and the ruling was no ongoing splits. It's hard enough to keep track of two different taxonomies, nevermind including new splits.
I'm not talking about ongoing splits which are at the proposed stage. Ages ago in this thread new splits were allowed in the game at the stage they were accepted rather than between the two annual updates ( eg when S American Snipe was split by IOC) But like you say, it's up to Will.

Last edited:
If there have been some splits since the thread started then I think Jacana needs to decide if he's going to allow them, and if so, update the list in the first post accordingly.
Seems reasonable in which case
I'm not talking about ongoing splits which are at the proposed stage. Ages ago in this thread new splits were allowed in the game at the stage they were accepted rather than between the two annual updates ( eg when S American Snipe was split by IOC) But like you say, it's up to Will.
Assuming Black-capped Babbler is OK then one sub-species of this bird (one seen in Halmahera) has a dark /black cap.

8775 Violet-necked Lory

During a busy couple of weeks I haven't had time to look in on this thread. I still have a few species that I can add.
Starting with:
8776. Necklaced Barbet

Users who are viewing this thread

Back