• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Name that Bird (1 Viewer)

whingrey

United Kingdom
Hi everyone my name is Joe and I've been around long enough to see several species of birds disappear in my lifetime from where I live in Northern Ireland . I'll name the main ones: cuckoo, corncrake, kingfisher, kestrel, snipe, 'water hen'. Now I've got a question for you viewers which has been puzzling me for the last few months or so. There used to be a bird...I remember hearing...awe....over 50 years ago...and I heard it usually 'around the edge of dark' when I was passing this wet, boggy, field near were I live...and it would literally explode' into flight as I walked by; for it was extremely fast in flight. I cant say I ever saw it up close but I'm almost certain...this same bird made a peculiar noise/sound in flight...like a 'burring/whirring noise. Does anyone know what species of bird it might have been. I'd dearly love to know. Note: I haven't heard/seen it now for several decades, unfortunately.

Possibly a Crow?
Hi there and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum (y)
We're glad you found us and please join in wherever you like. ;)

Hi Joe and a warm welcome from me too. I wonder if it was a snipe you used to hear. There's a recording on our Opus page if you'd like to listen to it and let us know if it brings back memories: Common Snipe - BirdForum Opus

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I hope to hear about all the birds you see when out and about.

Hi, welcome to the forum. I think you will find us a friendly and helpful group.

Hi Joe and a warm welcome from me too. I wonder if it was a snipe you used to hear. There's a recording on our Opus page if you'd like to listen to it and let us know if it brings back memories: Common Snipe - BirdForum Opus

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I hope to hear about all the birds you see when out and about.
This was my initial 'hunch' but when I listened to the recording I'm not so sure now. The 'call'/sound it made in flight was akin to the sound made by the wind sometimes when it hits/deflects off the edge of an object such as a propeller of wind vane. I attributed the sound to the bird's wings while it was in flight.

This was my initial 'hunch' but when I listened to the recording I'm not so sure now. The 'call'/sound it made in flight was akin to the sound made by the wind sometimes when it hits/deflects off the edge of an object such as a propeller of wind vane. I attributed the sound to the bird's wings while it was in flight.
Ummmm.... I still think that sounds like a Common Snipe. But I guess we'll never know for sure.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back