• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Namibia - April - Whydah / Bishop (1 Viewer)

Jacob12

Namibia
Here's a bird from Avis Dam in Windhoek, Namibia last week. It looks like it's transitioning out of breeding plumage? I initially passed it over as a red bishop (and it still could be), but the colour, shape, and general feel are wrong for me.

Usually, when I'm looking at strange passerines, they turn out to be whydahs. This would have to be an Eastern Paradise since the Shaft Tailed Whydah never gets a red bill and the Pin Tailed never has reddish legs. That ID still doesn't feel solid to me, especially since the breast looks like dark feathers are either coming or going.

Someone on iNat suggested a Cuckoo Finch, but that would be way out of range and doesn't feel like a good match either?

I'd love any further suggestions.

Attachments

• DSC_0178.JPG
    DSC_0178.JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 11
  • DSC_0179.JPG
    DSC_0179.JPG
    52.8 KB · Views: 11
  • DSC_0180.JPG
    DSC_0180.JPG
    120.4 KB · Views: 11
Usually . . . they turn out to be whydahs. This would have to be an Eastern Paradise
Head-pattern quite wrong.

Shaft Tailed Whydah never gets a red bill
I don't follow. This bird doesn't have a red bill.

Pin Tailed never has reddish legs
Head-pattern quite wrong.

breast looks like dark feathers are either coming or going
Just dark feather-bases showing among ruffled feathers - not dark feathers as such.

Prominent features are deep-based blackish bill and finely-streaked crown with no stripes on head. That seems to knock out everything in the vicinity except southern red bishop and yellow-crowned bishop - black bill because it's an out-of-plumage male.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back